Hepatitis B Community
Confused? Help please...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Confused? Help please...

I was tested for hep b using the antigen test, and hep c using the antibody test 11 weeks after exposure. I am so confused on these tests and if I took the antigen too late and the hep c antibody test too early? Can someone please point me in the right direction. So far they are both neg, but I don't know what that means. Please help!

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, if the antigens are non reactive, then it means you do not have the infection now. However, the incubation period for hepatitis B is 180 days, so you will need to recheck until this window time.  A hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) level of less than 1 is considered negative. And if the anti HBs levels are high it indicates good immunity. In the meantime get yourself vaccinated for hepatitis B infection. Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn