Hepatitis B Community
Confusing test results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Confusing test results

Back in July 1999 I tested positive for HepB.  My liver enzyme levels were elevated but back to normal by the time I took the HepB test a month later.  I just recently took a follow up test for HepB and the results were confusing.  My doctor said that she tested for HepB DNA and the results were negative.  The words she used were levels were so low that it was considered negative.  My total core antibody test was positive but my surface antigen test was also positive.  She spoke to a specialist and he believes it means I am not quite over the infection and to test again at the beginning of April.  Do you agree with this recommendation?  The test results seemed to have slightly baffled my doctor and the specialist so I thought I would get a second opinion from you.  Thank you for your time.
Jenny