Hepatitis B Community
Cost of a liver biopsy
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cost of a liver biopsy

My husband is getting a liver biopsy in two weeks but his clinic won't be able to give us a price quote on the procedure.  They told us to call the Hospital where he's getting it at but I always get the answer machine when I call the hospital business phone number.  I'm trying to find out the cost of the procedure so I can talk to my insurance to see how much they will cover and how much we have to pay.  Can someone give me an estimate of how much a liver biopsy cost (including doctor's fee and hospital fee)?  Thank you.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If I remember correctly my biopsy cost $2800, had to pay an in patient $1000 deductible..I'm betting biopsy price varies greatly though.
Blank
"inpatient" should read outpatient deductible
Blank
183955_tn?1296407045
I paid $900. to the Doctor and got back $810.00 from the insurance company, which really surprised me.

All other costs for the hospital were covered by my insurance as follows

lidocaine
sono liver localization
amb surg recovery  3.5 hours

1798.69 billed to insurance
68.15 billed to me

This was done at NY Presbyterian-Cornell in NYC, so I'm guessing it's going to depend on where you live for the cost.

Hope this helps!
And good luck!
Blank
12773_tn?1328916786
Mine was $4400, but ins co paid entire balance at their negotiated price.  I live in Florida .
Blank
My first one was around $4000 (insurance paid their rate) - my 2nd one at a different hospital was around $6000 (clinical trial picked up the tab) - but that should give you a ball-park.  I believe these are total charges - i.e. hospital incidentals, surgeon's (radiologist) fees, etc.
Blank
Thanks everyone for replying.  I think all I have to do now is to contact my insurance.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis B Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...