Hepatitis B Community
Diagonised HepB in 2011

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Diagonised HepB in 2011

Hello guys ,

I was diagonised with HBSAG +ve when I went to donate blood in 2011 .Since then I am doing routine checkup every 6-8 months with LFT , HBV DNA & Ultrasound . Below is my latest report

LFT :
ALT : 39
AST : 69

Ultarsound :   Fatty liver with fat sparing

HBV DNA :  undetectable

HBEAG -VE

HBSAG : 66.6 IU/ML

HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIBODIES,     :   2.6
QUANTITATIVE

BMI:  22

Based on this report my doctor told me its still inactive & I dont need any treatment . Please suggest

1) me whether I am very contagious ??
2) Whats my current health of my liver
3) What chances are there that I'll get liver complications later in my life ??

Thanks in advance .
1) me whether I am very contagious ??
Because your viral load is undetectable, you are not very contagious.

2) Whats my current health of my liver
Currently, you disease is inactive. However, we cannot tell the state of your liver without a Fibroscan. If your disease stays inactive, the state of your liver. whatever it is, should improve.

We wish we know. Because your qHBsAg is low, this generally indicates your hepatitis is truly inactive, the prognosis is good, you may even lose the HbsAg in the future. But, you should still have an annual check-up, and of course, live a healthy life style.
Thanks a lot for the reply  !!!

Yes I am maintaining a healthy life style . Minimum 4 times a week I do jogging for 6 km (in avg 32 mins ) . I dont smoke / Drink . I am a vegetarian !!

I am maintaing good BMI too . I just hope that I'll clear this virus in near future .

Planning to get married . But really confused ( Infact tensed )  how to communicate this situation to my girl .
Hi Stephen

The Hbsag level for Prataphumble is low (66.6 iu/ml)and HBV DNA undetected. Why cant he start the interferon theraphy and get rid of virus . Since he will be having good interferon response .Just wanted to know your thoughts .

be also aware that your low hbsag allows definitive cure of hbv by peginterferon especially if genotype is a,b,d probably c too.

with such low hbsag also sides effect of pegintf are less, if you want to cure hbv you should go for pegintf, afterall if you dont tollerate it you can stop it

the only con of having hbsag detectable is liver cancer risk, if you clear hbv it ll be almost 0 while keeping hbsag there will always be some risk

you must also check liver by fibroscan because we cannot exclude you have severe damaged liver or cirrhosis by blood tests, also be aware your liver is not healthy and also your body organs, you have fatty liver and this means all organs are damaged by fat you must improve the quality of food in your diet and lose weight
Thank you for the response ..

But My doc told told no medication required as of now & he asked me to reduce the belly fat & the liver fat . I am on it now . I'll achieve it soon .

Do my saliva/semen/any body fuild  contains the hbv which can infect others ?

be also aware that fatty liver helps to clear hbsag because fat kills more liver cells and among those killed many are infected.so the possible consequence of no treatment by peg and reduction of fatty liver may be increase or no more decline of hbsag

no except your blood and body organs, most of your virus is inside liver cells at this stage, hbsag is not infectious and few virions are in the blood
I am really feeling better after joining this community . Many thanks to everyone for all the responses .

So to increase the chance of clearence of hbv what I should do ( interms of life style , food , excercise , anything)  ?

Will it spread to my girlfriend also ??
only peginterferon can clear, not life style...

vitamin d levels must be over 40ng/ml, possibly 90-100ng/ml.do you have them checked?all hbvers are severely deficent and this makes metabolic diseaes, fibrosis of the liver, increase of cancer risk and fatty liver
Please expound on the fatty liver and the hbsag thing, are you saying that fatty liver is actually helpful for reducing hbsag?

If so and I don't doubt you as you are very knowledgable, do you have a study or link I can examine?

yes check old posts for the link of the study, but this i no promotion for fatty liver which is itself worst than hbv
if severe promotes fibrosis, cirrhosis, liver cancer, diabetes, heart disease and so on because if you have the liver full of fat also the other parts of the body are....and all organs damaged as well

among the two options i prefer a slim liver....
It wasn't one of the questions he asked. Yes, I would agree IFN treatment in his case would have high chance of clearing the virus. I believe IFN should be taken under the management of an experienced doctor, and nowadays, should be guided by measuring HBsAg levels during treatment. This will allow stopping of treatment if not responding or prolong treatment if responding. IFN treatments are expensive and finding a doctor willing to experiment are not easy, also clearance is not 100% guaranteed.
True but if you already had a fatty liver, getting Hep B on top of that would be very bad. At least it seems like this could mitigate that

BTW I have a fatty liver and I have just begun to work on proper diet and fitness  to get of it.
Sorry Stephen , Thanks for explaining , I got your point of view and now understand better.

Hi Pratap , I would recommend you to go through the post "24 weeks after with pegasys " By ali256 . A member with similar Hbsag level like you have and the he has posted the results which are good. he is almost on the verge of clearing the virus . Stef once again thanks for guiding all the members.

If you are from India , Visit ILBS hospital in Delhi where in they have all the facilities to do the necessary test that are required . That also have a website where in you can take an appointment .

Thank you for the response !!

based on my lab reports how long can i live healthy without any medication ??

Frankly speaking , I dont know how much time you can live healthy based on your reports and Iam not an expert neither a doctor . Stef is aware of most of this disease here in this forum and he is helping everyone here take proper medication. God bless him .Probably he will help you with the answer .

Hello stef

can I get married with this health condition  and have a famliy ?

Hw long I can expect to lead a healthy normal life by properly taking care of my health & diet ?

Thanks in Advance
you can do everything and live an intire life as long as you monitor liver damage by fibroscan, hbsag quantity in iu/ml, hbvdna and ast/alt

every 6 months you need to check for liver cancer too by ultrasound

if fibroscan is ok you can choose to take no drugs
Yes I'll do my best to maintain  !!  I hope things will be like this ...

Slowly I am getting out of this stigma .. Thanks a lot for your kind responses ...

I'll keep updating my results :)
Hello stef ,

I started working on my diet & excercise . I am doing pretty good . I have lost 1.5 kg in 15 days .

I don't feel tired even after a jog of 30 mins for 6 km . I hope I'll be this healthy for long !!

Thanks & regards.

I did tests this week and below is my report .  I had viral fever last week & physcian told these elevated results are due to viral infection .

SERUM BILIRUBIN TOTAL 1.0 mg/dL
SERUM BILIRUBIN DIRECT 0.25 mg/dL
BILIRUBIN INDIRECT 0.75 mg/dL
SERUM TOTAL PROTEIN 7.4 g/dL
SERUM ALBUMIN 4.4 g/dL
SERUM GLOBULIN 3.0 g/dL
A/ G RATIO 1.5
SERUM SGPT [ALT] 57 U/L
SERUM GAMMA GT 23 U/L
SERUM SGOT [AST] 42 U/L
SERUM ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 82 U/L

Ultra sound sacn says "Liver measures ~ 144 mm, appears normal in size and shows diffuse increase in echogenicity. No focal parenchymal lesions identified. No evidence of intra/extrahepatic biliary tree dilatation noted. Portal vein measures ~ 12 mm."

1. Increased liver echogenicity.

2. Splenomegaly.

3. Very minimal ascites.

shows diffuse increase in echogenicity.

you have fatty liver, this is due to food quality and being overweight.continue with healthy diet and you will resolve this which can be worst than hbv

check your liver damage by firboscan, Ultrasound only checks for fatty liver and liver cancer, not for liver damage
also check your vitd25oh levels which are low for sure because you have fatty liver and hbv
Hello stef2011 ,

Tomorrow morning I am vising the doctor ( a physcian ) to discuss on the future steps .

Actually I had fever & headache last week & general physician is doubting that these elevated results ( speacilly ascites & spleen enlargement )  are due to the viral infection & fever . He is suggesting me to wait for 2-3 weeks before I give for tests again .
He gave me a syrup ( BEVON ) which is a multi vitamin & multi minreal syrup . I am having it twice in a day .

I'll update as soon i get to hear from doctor .

But really thank you for all your support and guidence !!  This is invaluable

Thanks & regards
Hello Stef2011 ,

One thing is I am sweating a lot since I had fever last week .

I am really confused from where I am having fatty liver problem . I never had alchohol nor I take too much fried or oily food . Please can you suggest what best I can do to reduce this condition .

Thanks & regards
Hello stef2011 ,

Visited doctor today morning . he adviced me to take proper food & rest and visit him after 4 weeks  Then he is planning to get LFT & ultrasound done . Based on these reports he is suggesting a liver biopsy to check the liver condition . He told that by 4 weeks all the abnormalities caused by viral fever should be normalised .

Thanks & regards
Hello stef2011 ...

Please guide me here
Hello stef2011 ...

Please guide me here .