Hepatitis B Community
Discordant hepatitis B vaccine effectiveness

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I need information, case studies/statistics, on hepatitis B vaccine effectiveness after repeated exposure, i.e. a married couple where 1 is chronic HBV and the other is vaccinated with positive response.  I've looked everywhere I could think of and can't find anything.  I think seroconversion imparts lasting immunity, but need proof to allay a hypochondriac.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome.  There are no doctors in here.  Mainly just Hep C patients.  I think once you've been vaccinated for Hep B, it will show positive on an antibody test.  However, there should be some people on here soon that can give you a better answer.
The only way to monitor the effectiveness of the vaccine or your ability to produce enough antibodies to prevent infection is to be tested for the Anti-HBs "Quantitative", not "Qualitative".  It measures the amount of antibody in your blood and compares it to a reference range for immunity.  It has been noted that some vaccine recipients require a booster dosage after 5+ years, but I do not know the stats on this.  If you are concerned, I would go get the quantitative test and a booster vaccine.

Hope this helps,
leeac
Yes, you should get tested for the antibodies. I was vaccinated for B through my job and after testing positive for HCV, my doctor tested for B antibodies, and told me the vaccine had not worked, so I am doing it all over again. Now I will be sure to get retested after completing the series to make sure this one took.
....and if you get vaccinated again, I highly recommend getting the TWINRIX vaccine. http://www.gskvaccines.com/Twinrix/KeyFeatures.html

It combos both A&B and is more effective at responding if you didnt the first time then just getting the regular vaccine again.

I didn't respond initially to the regular, did the Twinrix and responded...Labs proved response.

I'm doing the A & B together this time as well, hopefully with better results.