Discordant hepatitis B vaccine effectiveness
I need information, case studies/statistics, on hepatitis B vaccine effectiveness after repeated exposure, i.e. a married couple where 1 is chronic HBV and the other is vaccinated with positive response.  I've looked everywhere I could think of and can't find anything.  I think seroconversion imparts lasting immunity, but need proof to allay a hypochondriac.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome.  There are no doctors in here.  Mainly just Hep C patients.  I think once you've been vaccinated for Hep B, it will show positive on an antibody test.  However, there should be some people on here soon that can give you a better answer.
The only way to monitor the effectiveness of the vaccine or your ability to produce enough antibodies to prevent infection is to be tested for the Anti-HBs "Quantitative", not "Qualitative".  It measures the amount of antibody in your blood and compares it to a reference range for immunity.  It has been noted that some vaccine recipients require a booster dosage after 5+ years, but I do not know the stats on this.  If you are concerned, I would go get the quantitative test and a booster vaccine.

Hope this helps,
leeac
Yes, you should get tested for the antibodies. I was vaccinated for B through my job and after testing positive for HCV, my doctor tested for B antibodies, and told me the vaccine had not worked, so I am doing it all over again. Now I will be sure to get retested after completing the series to make sure this one took.
....and if you get vaccinated again, I highly recommend getting the TWINRIX vaccine. http://www.gskvaccines.com/Twinrix/KeyFeatures.html

It combos both A&B and is more effective at responding if you didnt the first time then just getting the regular vaccine again.

I didn't respond initially to the regular, did the Twinrix and responded...Labs proved response.

I'm doing the A & B together this time as well, hopefully with better results.