Hepatitis B Community
Does it need treatment?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Does it need treatment?

My husband has HBsAg reactive, HBeAg non reactive, and HBV DNA PCR positive (9.6x10^3 copies/mL) on June, 2008.
On March, 2009, HBsAG still reactive but it decrease. Does my husband need treatment or medicine? Is HBV DNA can be negative?How?Please if there are anyone can help.
Does my husband need treatment or medicine?

--What is his ALT AST?

Is HBV DNA can be negative?

--With treatment it can be UND which is different from negative.
I am sorry,but what is ALT AST? Is that the same with SGOT SGPT? Until now SGOT SGPT is still in normal level.
Can I know what treatment does you mean to change HBV DNA into UND? Is that mean that HBV DNA UND it doesnot infectious anymore?
Thank you very much..
yes ALT and AST is the same thing as SGOT and SGPT..different measuring units but the same thing ..its what you call a liver panel

second question, becoming UND is an immediate but the ultimate goal. you can acheive UND while still postive to HBEAG  but once you turn negative on the E antigen then treatment may not be needed anymore.. some doctors will still have their patients go on treatment for another year or so after seroconverting from e postive to e negative but ultimately they stop the treatment and go on monitoring every 6-12 months
once you are noth E antigen negative and HBV DNA UND , you are considered less infectious but not NOT infectious anymore.. chance of infecting others becomes of a lessor percentage though ofcourse  it is there . after all you are a carrier of the virus and  giving it to someone else is a present possibility for as long as you have the virus in you.
there is no such  " not infectious anymore" in my opinion.. maybe your chances to infect someone else decrease but are always always always there..
Agreed with bberry.

If ALT and AST normal, some doctors will monitor your husband rather than treat.

Many people make HBV DNA go UND by antiviral treatment.
Thank you for your comments.
My husband has tested HBeAg negative/non reactive. Does it mean he doesn't need any treatment? Is there a chance that the HBV virus can be more dangerous and become cyrocis if the virus is still active and no treatment at all?
Does it mean he doesn't need any treatment?

--Varies from doctor to doctor.

Is there a chance that the HBV virus can be more dangerous and become cyrocis if the virus is still active and no treatment at all?

--There is a chance but even with DNA becoming UND and HBsAg positive, there is still a  chance.

--Varies from doctor to doctor.

So, if someone have been infected with HBV, it means that the virus will stay on his/her body forever? Isn't there any cure for hepatitis B? What should I do?