Eastern Indian Hepatitis B virus infected population
Characterization of antiviral resistance mutations among the Eastern Indian Hepatitis B virus infected population

Antiviral therapy using nucleos(t)ide analogues (NAs) is an effective control measure of chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection; however they need long term treatment. Presence of drug-resistance mutations may get in the way of the efficacy of antiviral therapy.

Our study was aimed at defining the prevalence of HBV drug-resistance in HBVrt region in a population of 147 HBsAg positive patients.FindingsHBV/D has shown multiple types of HBVrt mutations both among treatment naive (65.0%, 13 of 20 HBV/D) and treated patients (56.2%, 9 of 16 HBV/D). In additional, several mutations, with a suggested role in drug resistance, were detected among the treatment naive as well as the treated patients.

The mutations reported to be involved in reduction of drug effectiveness, was common among non-responders to therapy as well as among the naive patients. Notably, classical antiviral resistance mutations (rtL80I/V-rtI169T-rtV173L-rtL180M-rtA181T/V/S-rtT184A/S/G/C-rtA194T-rtS202C /G/I -rtM204V/I-rtN236T-rtM250V) were not detected.

Conclusion: The prevalence of putative NAr mutations among non responders to therapy suggests that they might have role in reduced efficacy of currently available antivirals and requires further investigations.

Author: Rajesh PanigrahiAvik BiswasBinay Krishna DeSekhar ChakrabartiRunu Chakravarty
Credits/Source: Virology Journal 2013, 10:56