Hepatitis B Community
Elevated ALT and AST but extremely low viral load
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated ALT and AST but extremely low viral load

HI everyone.. I have a question regarding my husbands recent blood work.  He has been diagnosed with Chronic Hep B, most likely infected at birth.  Although the diagnosis is new, I was not infected even though I had not been vaccinated (I am now on the second shot).  My question is:  His Alt is 300 and his AST is 97, but the Virus DNA level is 1.7.  Why would his liver enzymes be increasing if his viral load is so low?  He had a liver biopsy last week and we should get the results today from his hepatologist.  I was just wondering if anyone could give me possible interpretations that I could ask the doctor about.  (I'm sorry.. the past few months have been a nightmare of confusion and fear.. I am just trying to go into the doctor with as much information as possible.)  I appreciate any responses and am so grateful to have found this forum.  Knowing we are not alone has been a great comfort.