Hepatitis B Community
Elevated Ammonia levels

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Elevated Ammonia levels

Have had chronic Hep B w/cirrohsis (Childs A) since 1996. Took interferon (Intron A - treatment in 1996; All LFTs (AFP, DNA by PCR, ALT/AST) have been w/i normal range since. Also, Ultra Sounds have not indicated evidence of mass; just multiple cysts. However, last visit with GI doc one test out of wack, i.e., Ammonia test was abnormal and ultrasound of liver indicated inflammation. But the DNA, ALT/AST, TBIL, AFP etc were all still w/i the normal range. Lactulose was prescribed (oral solution - 20 mgs twice daily for 6 weeks).

Is it possible for the lactulose to clear the toxins from my bloodsteam and the inflamation (inflammation) in my liver to subside?

Lactulose works in the colon, binding to any proteins that are released during digestion and not processed by the liver, and removes them from the system before they can enter the bloodstream.

I don't believe that it has any effect on inflammation. You might try reducing the amount of animal protein in your diet, to reduce the work performed by the liver.

Just my 2 cents.

I've had alot of problems with ammonia levels. Thats what they give me for it. My problem was my spleen would swell. But I thought I was tired and confused and forgot alot of thingswhen I was on treatment but, that does not compair to how the high ammonia level makes you feel. The comment the other member made about the protein is so very true and it's a big problem in  your ammonia level getting  high.I'm sure you know this but keep a close eye on it my doctors in Tulane told me people can go into a coma.So from now on when all I want to do is sleep I have my lab work done. All of this is so hard because all of the things that can go wrong seem to have the same symtoms (symptoms). I'm don't know how high yours got by be the time I realized something was wrong mine was up to 127. Hope you feel better soon and God bless
Hi jenn,i to had a problem with raised ammonia levels ,confusion,memory lose ,extreme fatigue,but it happened so fast that one day this seemed fine Iam at work come home very tired,next thing I wake-up it's 6 days later hooked up to a zillon tubes find when iam finally coherent enough to understand that i went into stepic shock frooom an over load of ammonia.Was give lactulose dy IV and it was horrible ,Iwas exploding fecus everyehere,what a mess,Was perscribed it when released and couldent leave the house due to the fera of uncontrolable bowel.So good luck.