Hepatitis B Community
Entecavir

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Entecavir

Hi there!
I've had HBV DNA tests semi-annually in the past years and the results ranged from several hundreds to 100,000 copies/mL and from 600 to 8400 IU/mL (PCR quant). It has been mixed ups and downs. I guess my liver has had good and bad times. I'm 47y male, HBeAg Neg. and I'm ready for Entecavir/Baraclude which has good lab results. My question: if I'm the lucky one who takes Entecavir for 96 weeks and receives undetectable DNA quant (<300 copies/mL) like many in the lab data, what happens after that? Do I take Entecavir for the rest of my life? can I stop? what's the risk? Thank you sooooo much.
When your DNA fluctuates like that, it's probably due to an active disease with an active immuno-response.  It could be that you have a mutant strain of HepB, probably pre-core since the viral count is still not that high.   Liver cell injury is likely so you should consider treatment.

With the current antivirals, including Entecavir, treatment is indefinately for HBeAg Negative individuals.  If you have an effective response to Entecavir and with your initial DNA count being low, I think you could reach being undetectable within a few months.  But if you stop, the DNA would likely go back up.  You would proably take it until its not longer effective (resistance develops).  Hopefully there will be other resistant-free treatment options soon.  Good luck.
Thank you so much!!
You sort of convince me my fluctuated DNA counts are real. For a moment, I suspected the labs are accurate for the wide range since I never know other patients numbers (maybe I don't read forum enough).

My doctor prescribes Baraclude after the recent 8400 IU/mL (600 IU/mL-6 month ago; 110,000 copies/mL-1 month prior; 1000 & 3200 copies/mL-each 6 months prior). I'm not totally convinced for the treatment because I probably got infected thru birth (first known when I donated blood at age 18). If I have had HepB for nearly half century and I haven't died, maybe it's worth taking the risk rather than start treatment and can't stop (that was my first post question). I know that's a ridiculous thought. You've made it more clear, Steve. THANKS!!
If I was in your shoes, I would treat.
We are in pretty much the exact same boat-- see my previous posts on the forum tonight for the full history.   My liver function tests fluctuate and highest was still less than 5K copies- Im pre-core mutant.  I started baraclude recently and although i wont be able to stop for a long while, i think its worth it.  My only fear is changing jobs and being denied healthcare or a good prescription plan because of a preexisting...  Steven is absolutely right.
Very appreciate your comments.

Gigi, hope your quitting drink success and your employer always keeps you happy. I have a pretty good drug plan at work, and so this would very well delay my early retirement dream.

Good luck to us all.