Hepatitis B Community
Entecavir...How long to reach suitable levels in bloodstream?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

How long does it take Entecavir to build up to suitable levels in the blood stream in order to control HBV?

I’m trying to figure out if I need to continue with Interferon until the levels of Entecavir have built up and can hopefully control the HBV before I stop taking IFN. IFN has gotten me to UND VL and I don't want to give it a chance to rebound before Entecavir kicks in.
Because your HBeAg was negative when you had HBV  VL 18900, I agree with you that your treatment may need to be long term even when VL reaches UND.

You probably will start Entecavir the day your IFN completes, so the chance of rebound that you are concerned about may not be there.

Would you agree?
Yes I agree.

I know PEG IFN is made to be effective in the bloodstream for at least a week after a shot. I just wanted to be sure Entecavir didn't take a couple of months to build up in the blood.
I'm fairly sure it doesn't but in case it does, do you think my VL would not be able to rebound that fast? I don't know how fast the virus can replicate and may be concerned over nothing.
>>>do you think my VL would not be able to rebound that fast?

Because most monitoring timeframe is 3 months or so, I think you should be fine.
Makes sense to me with the monitoring timeframe. Thanks you for the reassurance.
Don't know the answer to your original post question, but I'm guessing it's pretty fast.  I took ADV for 2 weeks, did a DNA test and saw a nice drop in DNA.  ETV is suppose to be folds stronger than ADV so I think it should work quickly as well.