Hepatitis B Community
False positive hep b surface antigen test?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I had the first hep b vaccine last tuesday and then last wednesday 24 hours later had a hep b surface antigen test that resulted in an abnormal/positive?

was this caused by the vaccine?

kind of freaking out right now. i am doing testing for lung transplant workup and have CF and don't think its possible i could have hep b!!!
of course is, you can t and must not test hbsag but the opposite hbsab antibody
Avatar n tn
i read that it was the opposite everywhere. the state dept even called my doctor because all hep b positives need to be reported.  the antibody is the one that can show false positive after vaccination.

i read it is less likely but "possible" that it could happen for surface antigen test if you received vaccine within 14 days.

Hbv vaccine is made of hbsag, what do you expect froma n hbsag test after you inject hbsag in your body.........even a babies mind can understand this, not liver specialist (which are mostly ignorants on hbv biology) is needed
Avatar n tn
i mean it makes sense to me! but you wouldnt believe it literally every doctor has been like well it MIGHT be possible but its VERY rare!  totally freaking me out. it seems clear to me but i still have to wait till next week to find out "for sure" and get all these other tests too.  Basically everyone is operating now as if I have hep b and its making me nuts.
hbsag is not infective in chronic carriers or in the vaccine, it is only virions to be infective

hbsag is an antigen, not a virion