Hepatitis B Community
Full HBV tests; what do I need done?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Full HBV tests; what do I need done?

Dear All,
At the beginning of November I have booked to have a fibroscan done at the London Clinic. As well, I am going to get the following blood tests done::
HBsAg quantatative in IU ising Abbotts
HBsAB as above
HBeAg as above
HBeAB as above
Full LFTs
Vit d25oh
genotype

This is going to be my new baseline after being told I have F3/4 fibrosis one year ago. Then my fibroscan was 11.7 KPA and I was put on TDF.

Are there any other tests that I should get carried out??

I will share all of my results as soon as I get them.
Thank you all....
Normaly also AFP, HBV DNA quantitive.

Check here
http://www.hbvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets.asp

above all new fibroscan results to see how you decreased stiffness and if adopted: life style, diet, natural vitamins and natural antioxidants

for all readers remember that most vitamins and antioxidants in pahrmacies are synthetic chemical copies of nature...always double check that antioxidants and vitamins are from natural sources/vegetable food extracted.the chemical copies are mostly useless/dangerous
Hi stef

How do we know if the vitamin extract if natural and not synthetic? I habpve no idea for this kind of thing.

by checking ingredients, for example these 2 products are vitamin E but only the second is natural vitamin E, it is not easy because makers try to fool consumers since chemicals are extremely cheap if not almost costless while natural extracted are very expensive (you buy a lot o food, extract and then concentrate...much more complex)

http://www.pho.it/schedaProdotto.asp?prodottoID=135

check info and you will see where vit c is contained

i know solgar, longlife (pho.it) as makers of natural vitamins and antioxidants
most of puritans products too and of course hepatitistechnologies products
Dear All,
I now have had all of the tests carried out in the liver clinic and the test results are outlined below. The only baseline that I have had before is a fibroscan reading of 11.7 kpa one year ago.

Hep B Surface Antigen : DETECTED
HBsAg quantitation referred 12.80 IU/ml ((CMIA)
Hep B Core Antigen antibody : DETECTED
Hep B Core IgM : NOT DETECTED
Hep B e antibody : DETECTED
Hep B e antigen : NOT DETECTED
Hep B Surface antibody <10
Hep B DNA Viral Load : NOT DETECTED
Hep B DNA : 75 nmol/L is normal)
ALT : 23 IU/L (0-55 normal)
AST : 27 IU/L (5-45 normal)
ALP : 44 IU/L (40-150 normal)
uric acid : 0.37mmol/L (0.21-0.42 normal)
calcium : 2.44 mmol/L (2.23-2.5 normal)
phosphate : 0.87 mmol/L (0.74-1.52 normal)
albumin : 42g/L (35-50 normal)
globulin : 32g/L (15-30 normal)

FIBROSCAN : 8.7 kpa
ULTRASOUND : Normal
Spleen size : 11.5 cm
total bilrubin : 18.0umol/L (3.4-20.5 normal)

Please let me know what your thoughts are on these results. I have just gotten the puritan pride vit D supplement and I am thinking of starting them now; should I ?

Really appreciate your comments,
Thank you
****Please disregards the above post, it did not copy the page correctly. Below is correct****.
Hep B Surface Antigen : DETECTED
HBsAg quantitation referred  : 12.80 IU/ml ((CMIA)
Hep B Core Antigen antibody : DETECTED
Hep B Core IgM : NOT DETECTED
Hep B e antibody : DETECTED
Hep B e antigen : NOT DETECTED
Hep B Surface antibody <10
Hep B DNA Viral Load : NOT DETECTED
Hep B DNA : 75 nmol/L is normal)
ALT : 23 IU/L (0-55 normal)
AST : 27 IU/L (5-45 normal)
ALP : 44 IU/L (40-150 normal)
calcium : 2.44 mmol/L (2.23-2.5 normal)
albumin : 42g/L (35-50 normal)
globulin : 32g/L (15-30 normal)

FIBROSCAN : 8.7 kpa
ULTRASOUND : Normal
Spleen size : 11.5 cm

are you sure hbvdna is measured in mmol/L?if so the test is not according intl standards and it may be meanless.maybe it says 75iu/ml?

if hbsag is so low you are about to clear i think, i d go for intf instead of waiting to clear since it may take years naturally, with such a low hbsg clearance is almost ceratin
Hi Stef, when I cut and paste info is not coming over correctly.
hbsag =12.80 iu/ml
Core antibody detected
Core IgM not detected
Surface antibody <10 iu/ml
DNA undetectable, <10 iu/ml
E antibody positive
E antigen negative.
Do you think I am beginning to clear the virus or could this be the surface antigen count for many years?
Thank you so much.

definitely there is an immune respons e but it is usually extremely slow without  intf, i think the percentages are given at 5-10 years

keeping it without treatment there is also a possibility of hbsag mutation to escape immunity antibodies hbsab, so i d definitely start intf it may take 14-48 weeks but you have the highest chances possible to clear hbv
Many thanks Stef. I will discuss this with my doctor to see about starting peg interferon. As my vit d is 68 will it help to start now on the puritan vit d supplement? I have them but not taken any yet.
Do you think in another 12 months that my fibroscan result will be even lower than 8.7? I will be looking after my liver very carefully with pro.it fish oil,puritans vit d, blueberries and green tea.
Be careful with green gea. A few cups a day are ok but taking tee extract as supplement may induce liver damage, there are some researches about it.
Thank you for the note. I drink about 4 cups a day and maybe sometimes white tea. But always the tea is loose tea that I get when I am in China working. I never take green tea extract. is it specifically the extract that causes the possible liver damage?
better switch to four cups of coffee rather than green tea. Recent studies show about 40% decrease of HCC risk if 3 cup of coffee daily also improves liver condition and response to interferon treatment.
as far as I got the leaves of the plant the tea is made of causes the problem not the sort of tea and it is extract -- means great quantity, low quantities are considered to be good for liver. I saw the info that green tea extract even banned in France, but you know it always controversial, one day they say coffee kills you the other day that it resurrects the dead ...
LOL, thanks for that. I do now drink 2 mugs of coffee per day as my consultant advised it also. So green tea has been much reduced. Will continue this regime of more coffee and maybe 1 mug of green or white tea per day maximum. I do know a lot of people are now drinking a lot of green tea per day.
Dear Stef, was at clinic Friday last and I gave them a copy of my results. There was no real interest in my quant surface being only 12.80ul,ml. I asked for the test to be done by themselves again to back up the previous lab from November last year but they said there was no need and surface antigen quantities was something they rarely checked in people. I got the distinct impression they are only interested in antivirals holding DNA at bay. I asked next if there was anything they would recommend doing to clear the virus and they were not interested. I asked about combo and they said as a rule they do not do combo and they never mentioned inf as an add on. I am very annoyed with their response. What to do now? Am thinking of going back to London and having tests on blood done there and discussing my options with Prof Williams there.

they are ingornats or intrested in keep you sick on antivirals and not cure

if you dont find an expert liver specialist on personalized treatment of hbv in order to clear hbsag you better move to pisa and have them check you and suggest you on hbsag clearance by intf combo plus tenofovir

by the way they are about to start the trial of intf add on after long term use of tdf, this is free of charge and you ll have some of the most expert researchers/liver specialsits in the world on this

check if there is any hospital in uk doing that trial too, if you dont get the trial this combo is routine in italy and you can be prescribed but i dont know if your healthcare will pay for this if prescribed by italian doctors

i do know i have free healthcare in uk paid by our public healthcare but dont know if the opposite applies.