Hepatitis B Community
Gall bladder, Hepatitis B etc?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Gall bladder, Hepatitis B etc?

Hello all,
I have really learnt a lot from this site since I was diagnosed of Hep B virus in October last year.

I have had Liver Function tests about three times since I tested positive to Hep B, the lastest being last week.
Various clinics, different doctors, all results show normal liver functioning, including the LFT I did last week and the scan I did this morning

Meanwhile, I have been having pains in various parts of my abdomen and chest (like under right ribs,sometimes left ribs, back, sometime shoulders)  since November. I also have been having headache and get weak after little mental or physical stress or did not sleep well. All these things come and go. Sometimes, after taking enough rest and sleep, it goes, but comes back later. I have been living with this since November last year.

All my complaints about these body pains have not been taken seriously by doctors, especially when my Liver Function tests keep showing normal. But I'm worried, I'm thinking something is wrong, but these doctors keep saying these things have nothing to do with Hepatitis. They keep saying it's because I'm too fearful since I discovered I'm Hep B positive. I was even referred to a Neurologist to calm me down, and that one told me that the pains are anxiety symptoms.

I honestly doubt the pains are anxiety syptoms (symptoms) because I've not been that anxious and fearful, especially with all those good news I read here, with people that say they've been living with it for 20-30 years with no major problem. I sleep very well except when work stress make me sleep late and wake up early at times. I don't think. So I doubt it's because of anxiety.

Not convinced, I spoke with my main doctor last week. We did LFT again and it was normal and we further did upper abdominal scan at a reputable radilogical centre and here is the report of the consultant radiologist that did the scan for me:

LIVER:
-The liver is not enlarged, measuring 13.8cm in its A.P diameter. It shows a normal uniform architecture. No definite intrahepatic mass lesion is seen.
-The gall bladder appears contracted and thick-walled but no definite mass lesion is seen.
-The intrahepatic ducts are not dilated
-The pancreas appears normal

SPLEEN
-Normal splenic size and architecture
-No intrasplenic mass lesion is seen

KIDNEYS
-The kidfneys are normal in size and position
-Both show good corticomedullary differentiation

He said I'm okay, altogether. But curious to know teh implication of 'gall bladder appears contracted and thick-walled', I spoke with him further and he said it was beacuse I ate shortly before I did the scan.

But coming here to read about about gall bladder, I read that it could have something to do with Hep B.
I'm a little confused. Could the 'contraction and thick-wallness' of gall bladder be due to the teh fact that I just finished eating as the Dr said or has anything to do with Hep B?

Also, from what I have read here about people saying they have/had gall bladder problem, I'm also having pains in my lower ribs region. I also have headache almost on daily basis, though it goes after resting very well, but comes agian later. It's been on and off.

I need serious advice here please.
http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/43a0746accc5d

If you do have issues, I have good reason to believe that they are something completely unrelated to Hep B.
Thanks very much, Sharp7, for that link.

I read the article and it was very enlightening. I'm a little confused though.
I saw Hepatitis and Livercirrhosis as part of the differential diagnosis of gall-bladder thickening. Recall I'm Hep B positive, but the report says my liver is still very OK.
How will I have the comfort then, that the gall-bladder-thickening is not related to Hep B?

Meanwhile, further reading in that article shows that gall-bladder-wall-thickening may not be sufficient to conclude one has any of these diseases including Cholecystitis. My report, as posted above says:

"-The liver is not enlarged, measuring 13.8cm in its A.P diameter. It shows a normal uniform architecture. No definite intrahepatic mass lesion is seen.
-The intrahepatic ducts are not dilated
-The pancreas appears normal"

I appear OK in other supporting information.

Could it now be concluded, as the Dr mentioned, that the 'contraction and thick-wallness' was due to the fact that I ate a couple of hours before doing the scan and unrelated to Hep B?

I will appreciate having further advice, looking at the content of that educative link viz-a-viz my report up there.

"due to the fact that I ate a couple of hours before doing the scan and unrelated to Hep B?"

That is already mentioned in the link I sent. They word it differently, "pseudothickening can occur in the postprandial state."
Thanks. I didn't know the meaning of 'postprandial state'.
I redid the scan, now without eating 10 hours before going, and the report now says 'the gall bladder wall is not thickened'.

I just have the comfort.