Ganoderma lucidum on HVB
A Phase I/II Study of a Ganoderma lucidum (Curt.: Fr.) P. Karst. (Ling Zhi, Reishi Mushroom) Extract in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis В
Yihuai Gao
Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health, Massey University; Landcare Research, Private Bag 92170, Auckland, New Zealand
Shufeng Zhou
Division of Pharmacy, School of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science, Queensland University of Technology, Australia; Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore; University of South Florida FL 33612, USA
Guoliang Chen
Division of Traditional Chinese Medicine, New Zealand Institute of Natural Medicines, Auckland, New Zealand
Xihu Dai
Department of Internal Medicine, Fuzhou General Hospital of Nanjing Military Region of the Peoples' Liberation Army, Fuzhou, R.P. China
Jingxian Ye
Department of Integrated Medicine. Hospital of Fujian University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fuzhou, R.P. China
He Gao
ABSTRACT
The polysaccharide fractions and triterpenes isolated from Ganoderma lucidum have shown protection effects on the liver in animal studies. This double-blind, randomised, and multicentered study aimed to evaluate the safety and effect of a G. lucidum extraction, Ganopoly, in chronic hepatitis B. Ninety patients with chronic hepatitis B, hepatitis В viral (HBV) DNA positivity, and aminotransferase elevation were included in this multicenter prospective randomized Phase I/II study. Patients were randomized to be given Ganopoly (n = 60) or placebo (n = 30) for 12 weeks, then followed up for 13 weeks. Effect of therapy on levels of HBV DNA and aminotransferase activities in serum and hepatitis В е antigen (HBeAg) status were investigated. There were 78 assessable patients who entered the trial for efficacy and safety; 13 of 52 (25%) patients receiving Ganopoly responded by reducing HBeAg and HBV DNA, compared to 1 of 26 (4%) in the control group (P < 0.05). Among those with serum aspartate aminotransferase (AST) values  100 U/L (n = 23), 65% (15/23) responded. Within the 6-month study period, 33% (17/ 52) of treated patients had normal aminotransferase (ALT) values, and 13% (7/52) had cleared hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) from serum, whereas none of the controls had normal ALT values or had lost HBsAg. Eight of 60 patients in Ganopoly group and 4 of 30 in the controls were unable to be followed up due to loss or withdrawal. Our study indicates that Ganopoly is well tolerated and appears to be active against HBV in patients with chronic hepatitis B.
anybody know more details ? (quantity of Ganoderma lucidum, kinetics ... )
http://www.dl.begellhouse.com/journals/708ae68d64b17c52,72e968661ff5d957,09001a9418679e96.html

Please note this is 2002 ppublication in a rather obscure journal: International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. Normally, I do pay attention to research from universities in Australia and New Zealand, however I will make an exception in this case.
Ling Zhi was heavily promoted by a group of businessmen in Hong Kong, mainly through personal recommendations from doctors (including western trained) and celebrities. It was very expensive and claimed to be a cure-all for everything from cancer to hair-loss. Many research, such as the one above, was carried by academics, I believe through sponsorship by these businessmen. Many years, they applied for a license from FDA to export Ling Zhi to the USA as a food supplement. It was rejected because FDA claimed the product consisted mainly of ash. You should be able to find the ruling using Google.
All I can say is that many people were fooled and a few made tons of money. These businessmen and their puppets should all be jailed.
Some how, this link end in my email and I was post it without any resarch on it (I only saw some university listed and was ok). "Mea culpa" on this and thanks for your comments and warnings!
Is this the Ganoderma form Gano Excel?