Hepatitis B Community
HBV BLOOD TESTS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

HBV BLOOD TESTS

Dear Dr.
I had 3 blood tests after possible exposure to HBV (low risk protected vaginal sex with unknow status woman)
The tests were:
- HBV DNA by cobas amplicor 4 weeks after possible exposure
- HbSAg 7 weeks after possible exposure
- HbC Total 7 weeks after possible exposure
All (thanks GOD) came back negative
My questions is:
1- Is these mentioned tests considered as a conclusive tests at that times and no more tests needed to be sure that I didn't catch HBV from that possible exposure
2- If any further tests could be required what is it and when is the best time to do

I'll be fairly honest - 6 months is usually the final indicator = in my mind. But I think you have a very low chance of having obtained HCV or HBV from this one time exposure with those results 7 weeks out.

Please check in the Hep B Forum - OK? They are very AWESOME over there!

The forum you currently posted in is Hep C --- which is a completely different (although similar) issue.

Much luck!

Meki
It appears to me your first test checked for Hep b virus.  Is that correct?  If you are neg for virus after 4 weeks and neg for antibody at 7 weeks, I believe you are home free.

Did you know there is a vaccine for hep B?  A series of three shots at 6 week intervals.

Unfortunately, there is not a hep c vaccine at the present time.  And may never be.  HepC is a sneaky little *******.

Were you tested for Hiv?
Thanks for you reply
Yes I tested negative for hiv (thanks GOD) but also don't know till when I have to keep testing to be sure that every thing is OK
In the Us, a neg antibody test before 3 months is not considered definite.  I believe any

neg result after 1 month or more gives a lot of assurance for a neg outcome.

if I were you, i would get a hep b and Hiv test three months after this exposure.  i am very confident you will test out neg.  Then move on with life and don't dwell on this anymore.
I think will check at 3 months, Hope that it will come back neg.
Thanks for your kind reply
I don't believe you have much to worry about.  I am very confident you will be neg at 3 months for both.
Thank you very much
I have read in http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/faqb.htm#b7 that "HBsAg will be detected in an infected person’s blood an average of 4 weeks (range: 1–9 weeks) after exposure to the virus" ..... so is that sounds that if i retested for HbSAg now (after 9 weeks) and as I hope that it will come back negative (with GOD willing) then is that sounds that it will be accurate and final result??!!
You can test now.  I am VERY confident you will be neg.

Make this the BEST thing that ever happened to you.  Remember the worry and anxiety

you endured waiting to hear about a blood test.  Not worth it, is it?

After your test is negative, promise yourself you will put this behind you and move on with life.
I will do, and I'll inform you ... thank you very much