Hepatitis B Community
HBV almost cleared 12 weeks with interferon+simvastatin

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Below is my experience with Interferron teraphy,
At 1st injection, Doctor asked me to stay at hospital for 24 hrs to see the effect, but everything felt normal. Same thing happen with 2nd injection.
After 3rd injection, started feel flu symptons , dry mouth (thirsty), less taste for food (my portion still normal) but still feel strong
After 4th injection, feel headache, sleepy/weak, less taste for food  and itching. But I still can riding bicycle for exercise.
After 10th injection, sometime light headache, dry mouth,  itching , less taste for food  but feel little stronger.

Below is the Lab test history, after dose#12 HBV DNA not detected.

Base line 1st dose 4th dose         8th dose         12th dose                Ref. Range   Unit
Date:      13-Sep-11 20-Oct-11 21-Oct-11 11-Nov-11 16-Nov-11 09-Dec-11 15-Dec-11 06-Jan-12 11-Jan-12
AST (SGOT)                    35*                             49*            63*                     67* <33            IU/L
ALT (SGPT)                    63*                             78*             89*             90* <50           IU/L

HBsAg        366.44* 255.68*                                                   176.4* <0.05 IU/mL

HBV-DNA     2.54 x 10^5 2.54 x 10^5                                 no detectd         

Thanks.  
Took 1st dose on 21 Oct 2011 and on 11 Jan 2012 HBV DNA not detected.  
Below is the lab history,                          

Date            13/9  20/10  21/10  11/11  16/11  9/12  15/12  6/1/12  11//1/12
                                   1st dose                                   12th dose
SGOT                    35*                          49*             63*                  67*
SGPT                    63*                          78*             89*                  90*
HBsAg     366.44  255.68                                                              176.4*
HBV DNA2.54x10^5                                                                   no detect

what about chol levels, from hcv trials of interferon+statins we know that interferon works better with:

tot chol less than 150mg/dl
ldl less than 70mg/dl

this is because interferon works lowering intracellular cholesterol which is used by hbv to make antigens hbsag and hbcag, statins alone do very little to virus because they lower blood chol and not cellular but it has been found that this boosts interferon response in combo
hi po ... can i ask a question? what kind of doctor i need po na pewedeng makatulong tungkol sa mga tanong ko about s hepa b? kasi po magpositive ako sa sakit nayan and im pregnant now. tnx po

it is very very clear that for fast clearance of hbsag (hbv) hbvdna must be undetactable and alt flare up while und.

antivirals fail probably because they stop virus replication but cant boost detection of infected cells to be clear from immune system, so main failure of antivirals is making normal alt while keeping hbsag detactable and hbvdna undetactable
On 26 Jan 2012, Tot chol 147 mg/dL and LDL 93 mg/dL.

12/10/11  1/11/11  26/1/12
Tot Chol          219         143      147           mg/dL
LDL                                           93

did you started simvastatin before interferon treatment or together?

you can increase sim to 20mg too if you have had no sides from it

the sides you experienced with interferon are signs of immune activation, often those with no sides experiece also no response to interferon at all

remember not to stop interferon until hbsag is negative, you should nt need 48 weeks to clear it but if hbsag is still detactable you should not stop it until it is clered

full protection and immunity happens when hbsab rise to good levels like qt least 250miu/ml, sometimes interferon alone is not able to make hbsab in that case when hbsag is negative hbv vaccine is used with immune henancers
"did you started simvastatin before interferon treatment or together? "
Not before, They started together.

"you can increase sim to 20mg too if you have had no sides from it"
No sides from sim. Doctor stop sim when He found chol become in range then change to Lipanthyl 100 to effect something else I am not very sure. But doctor ask me to eat less sweet food, reduce carbo.

"the sides you experienced with interferon are signs of immune activation"
I wish I get this gift soon...

FYI, before and during interferron, As much as I can I avoid oily food (only steamed food), eat fruits. May be this help also.
"remember not to stop interferon until hbsag is negative, you should nt need 48 weeks to clear it but if hbsag is still detactable you should not stop it until it is clered "
I will not. Thanks God if this less than 48 since this is an expensive cost 210 usd/injection/week
is it possible that upon detection of hepa b, i can still be negative from it thru medication? how long? 09152054994 pls help..thnks
Doctor stop sim when He found chol become in range then change to Lipanthyl 100 to effect something else I am not very sure. But doctor ask me to eat less sweet food, reduce carbo.

very wrong choice, sim has antiviral effect on hbv you shold start it again

But doctor ask me to eat less sweet food, reduce carbo.

this is very correct

Cholesterol Drug Statin May Improve Standard Hep C Treatment Efficacy
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/hcv_fluvastatin_statin_2501_20219.shtml

Simvastatin potentiates the anti-hepatitis B virus activity of FDA-approved nucleoside analogue inhibitors in vitro
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2869246/

of course your doctor has no idea sim has antiviral effect on hbv in combo with antivirals and interferon and was thinking about cholesterol levels only but that s a bit of ignorance on hbv.chol is upregulated by hbv, it is not due to you or to food, and hbv upregulates chol because that's needed to make hbsag
interferon works lowering chol inside the cells so that hbv has no way to make hbsag, sim lowers chol in blood and helps weaken hbv

fats, carbo and sugars are used by viruses to make chol in the cells and make antigens like hbsag so it is a very good choice to reduce them

sugars have also an effect on immune system inactivating immune system cells

so the ways to boost interferon to work faster are in order of potency:

alinia (generic nizonide500 by lupin india), simvastatin possibly 40mg daily, vitamin d3 5000-10000iu daily to reach 50-80ng/ml of vitd25oh in serum
http://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=interferon%20week%2012%20hbvdna%20undetactable&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.colloquium.eu%2Fcongres%2F09APHC%2Fslides%2Fmardi_20%2FLUNCHEONS%2FRami_Moucari%2Falancer.pps&ei=H5gtT8XTKfP54QT_6KyBDg&usg=AFQjCNG5-gOQTwX2tNG5xV8qWPdQDgTMEw&sig2=4NFEHMB2D3SngIiqwJRNyw

Hepatitis B: predictors and endpoints revisited?

as you can see you beated all data in here, your hbvdna baseline was 5log and your hbsg was 2 log.i belive 2 things made response faster:
use of simvastatin (others should confirm this)
low baseline hbsag
Steff;
Is this below you suggested? For howlong?

alinia (generic nizonide500 by lupin india), - 1x 1day
simvastatin possibly 40mg daily, 1x 1day
vitamin d3 5000-10000iu daily , 1x day

From my doctor;
curliv plus - 1x 1 day
Becefort Multivitamin- 1x1day
Lipanthyl 100 - 1x3days

So, these are I should take. Is it safe to kidney?

all safe among them only interferon n extreme rare cases can make kidneys damage

no 4 pills a day with meals every 4-5hrs (at night 8hrs), if tollerable even 5 pills.take bifidus yogurt and increase dose slowly becuase alinia can make mild diarrea (diarrhea) which resolves itself in 2-3days.alinia is a diarrea (diarrhea) drug but it can also make diarrea (diarrhea) killing some bacteria in the gut so taking yogurt you can balance.
absorption can be increased by fish oil, oliv oil, PPCpolyenylphosphatidylcholine

yes at dinner

vitamin d3 5000-10000iu daily , 1x day
it depends on your serum levels, all hbvers are deficent but when hbv is getting cleared the levels rise without supplements.to boost immune system you need levels 50-90ng/ml so start with 5000iu and then make the test as soon as possible to know where you are, serum test is called vitd25oh, check also serum calcium which is also correlated to immune system activation

to rise the levels takes years so don t worry about taking 5000iu daily

Lipanthyl 100 - 1x3days

stop this, abnormal chol was due to hbv not by foods or your genes, you wont have any chol problems after hbv is cleared
simvastatin is used in this case against hbv, not for cholesterol itself

Becefort Multivitamin- 1x1day
check if vitamins are synthetic or extracted from food, 99% of vitamins in the market are synthetic.there are no proofs synthetic vitmins work but you can take anyway.
take also foods and vegetables in your diet

curliv plus
this is not ok because it contains antioxidants like curcuma and sylimarin antinflammatories which  reduce immune response while on interferon.to boost immune response and lower oxidative stress it is best to use liposomal or injection vitamin c and glutathione but only liposomal or injection because the normal forms in pills you find at pharmacies are not absorbed at all.in italy vitamin c and glutathione are also found in injectable form if you find them take it.liposomal forms are made by livonlbas but i dont know if there are resellers in your area.http://www.livonlabs.com/
liposomal formula contains PPC already
when you stop interferon and hbv is cleared curliv is very good to calm down inflammation and repair liver but it is not good now because it reduces immune response

curliv plus i found it contains
Sylimarin fitosoma 35 mg, Fructus Schizandrae ext. 135 mg, Curcuma rizoma xanthorrhizae ext. 150 mg, Liquiritiae radix ext. 135 mg, 150 mg di bitartrato di colina, vitamina B6 2 mg.
can i ask about interferon coz my doctor wants me to inject interferon w/ in 6 months but it cost over all 360t Philippine money 60t per month the doctor will do the 1st and 2nd injction to the hospital so that they can observe me..but it is 100% that u will be okie?bcoz 360t its so very big money so i need to be sure if this is rely true and if thers rely people that undergo in this medication that they heal..plz help me..and what are the other option coz its to very beg money.
You may ask expert about this what is your heps level and chances to healed.
I have no idea about this.
But for me this working good.
I stoped medicine from my doctor , Lipanthyl, Becefort and Curliv plus.

But again I cannot get Vit D3 , Alinea (nizonide 500)

Now I take Simvastatin and Nutrimax Vitamins and Minerals.
http://www.puritan.com/vitamin-d-326/sunvite-maximum-strength-vitamin-d-d-3-5000-iu-019377

here is vitamin d3 but it is strange you can buy a vitamin they should be available anywhere
I just got this Vit D3- 1000 iu

http://www.****.com/products/productdetail.asp?productNumber=1044&category=2

Direction; 1 softgel daily .

in this case you need to take 5 pills to make 5000iu daily but dose depends on vitd25oh levels, if very low it is better to take 10000iu daily and recheck in 2-3 months

the serum levels to live healthy and boost immune response are at 50-80ng/ml

hi otan, any update in hbsab antibody?i guess hbsag is cleared now
Steff;
I am now at Papua New Guinie, in the jungle no hospital.
No update yet for antibody since 22 Feb last check was neg.
HBsAg last check was 13 Feb that was 0.02 ( neg)

But AST and ALT made fluctuation, may be still fighting the HBV in liver cells
22/2  AST 139  ALT 210  (the highest)
7/3    AST 93    ALT 93
9/3    AST 104   ALT 171 (for pre-employment test. Already 2 times come to the hospital and the Hospital ask me for the third to come to see their internist. But I did not see the doctor yet since I have to go fo Papua New Guinie for work. But the test found Ketone in my urine, may be because of theraphy. I did not tell the Hospital that I am on interferron)

Soon after I am back  to Jakarta, I will make the check.

Thanks Steff...
7/3/12 ALT 161
is the simvastatin dose 10mg?might that be realated to simvastatin?

if there is any chance it can be due to sim i d lower sim to 5mg and see how alt changes

i actually think 99% is still the hbv fight, it will end when hbsab will rise because hbsab will prevent reinfection of other cells and all the infection gets halted definitely
This is my mail conversation with Dr Chan david you sent me. I have to find Doctor who will give vaccination;
Start from very bottom.

Dear Otan:
I am sorry that I have no contact in Singd you tooapore or Indonesia that I can send you too, but if you come to Hong Kong, I can start the treatment that I have used to treat my other patients and induced antibodies in them. Continuation of interferon would not help with your antibody production but it would probably protect you from flaring up of your hepatitis B .
I will be attending a conference in Ching Mai in Thailand in June . Would you be coming to this meeting on hepatitis? I can discuss your situation with you if you attend this conference. David Chan.

From: OTAN
Dr Chan;

I have seen doctor at Jakarta in my place and consult about vaccination but they said just continue with interferron.
Do you have doctor friend in Singapore or Penang that will do that?

From Dr Chan:
DEAR OTAN:
cONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE SHOWN GOOD RESPONSE TO INTERFERON AND YOUR hbs ANTIGEN IS DOWN TO o.O2 WHICH IS BASICALLY NEGATIVE. hOWEVER, UNTIL YOUR BODY CAN DEVELOP ANI hbs ANTIBODY YOU ARE NOT CURED YET AND THREE OF MY PATIENTS RECURRED AFTER BECOMING hbs ANTIGEN NEGATIVE AND THEN STOPPING ALL TREATMENT.

i WOULD RECOMMIND THE FOLLOWING; yOU MUST ENHANCE YOUR BODY'S IMMUNE MECHANISM TO HELP YOU PRODUCE ANTIBODIES. i WOULD RECOMMEND STARTING YOURSELF ON ALPHA ONE THYMOSINE 3.2 MG TWICE WEEKLY FOR 4 WEEKS AND THE GIVE YOUR SELF A TRIPLE DOSE OF HEPATITIS b SUBUNIT VACCINE , REPEAT THE ABOVE IN 4 WEEKS TIME AND THEN A SECOND DOSE OF TRIPLE HEPATITIS b VACCINE. THEN CHECK AND SEE IF ANY ANTIDOY DEVELOPS AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR RESULTS ARE. i LIKE TO FOLLOW YOUR CASE UP WITH YOU AND BEST OF LUCK.   DAVID CHAN.

From:OTAN
Dr Chan
I am on interferron week# 18.
I am now HBsAg - 0.02 iu/ml (last check) ; HBV DNA- undetected and HBsAb- negative

What should I do to stimulate anti HBs?
Lab result attached.

very good to have help from these expert doctors/researchers, you may also use gcmaf to henance immune system like i am doing and that will help for sure but i guess it is difficult to get it in your area in a very short tie and it is pretty expensive, one vial 660euro for 2 months treatment shipment included.the point is it loses potency if delivery is longer than 3-4 days because it needs temp at around 4° to store it with no losses

an hiv+hbv coinfected patient in italy used gcmaf injections and cleared hbv by 4 weeks on gcmaf.he was not infected at birth because hbcab igm positive but since coinfected with hiv he was not clearing hbsag and was over 6 months of infection, gcmaf cleared immedialy hbsag and developped hbsab.you may find gcmaf at this website, gcmaf eu

forgot about hiv, that same patient is also hivrna undetactable or extremely low hivrna without hiv drugs and his cd4 are very high in the normal range, he is still on gcmaf and off any drugs
Stef, below is the recent mail from Dr Chan, and I am thinking of visit him to Hong Kong.

Dr Chan;

I need few question for you.
-What is your Clinic/ Hospital address/telp in Hong Kong?
-Before I will do this all, do I need to check my HBV DNA and HBsAg again because last check were
  11 Jan 2012:  HBV DNA - undetected
  13 Feb 2012: HBsAg- 0.02 (negative)
   I never miss interferron injection and still doing this till now.
- How much money I should prepare for this vaccination.

Dear OTAN:
I think you need the use of Thymosine 3.2 mg to booster up your immune system and give your self a triple dose of the new subunit vaccine at the same time.  You need altogether three doses given on Day 1, day 30 and day 180. If you come to Hong Kong, we can give you the first dose and let you bring back the rest of the vaccines and Thymosine with you to Indonesia where you can administer them yourself. David Chan.

yes that sbest especially if he has the new hbv vaccine with adjuvants and hbcag+hbsag
Thymosine is not all that much as immune modulator but if that s not too expensive and gcmaf not an option it is agood choice

also remember to keep vit d at max levels around 80-90ng/ml
OK, Thanks Stef
Otan.. how long have u been being on ifn so far? are you still healthy with mildi sides?
On week 24
sides I have now are less appetite.
Difficulty I am facing now is that I work physically on field while feelling not very fit.
I think if I work at office in room would not be a problem.
Now I am travelling to Penang Malaisia ttry to do vaccination.

any updates on hbsab antibody?

i strongly suggest to use gcmaf too, there s also production of gcma fin japan and it is actually a more concentrated form from the scientists who first discovered gcmaf.i guess it is easy to order there from your location and it is also very cheap, 78euro per vial which lasts 2 months
http://www.saisei-mirai.or.jp/gan/macrophage_eng.html

they also had a patient with lymphoma with hbv+hcv and they reported he cleared lymphoma and hbv.since gcmaf has no sides, cheap i strongly suggest to try it

he needs to be stored at 2-8° to last 2-3 months, it is good to order one vial at a time because frozen it loses some potency although frozen vials last 6-12 months.it cannot be refrozen more than one time
Otan's HbSAG is <500iu/ml  but DNA and ALT is elevated.  He does not fulfil the criteria for inative carrier.  Perhaps he is already clearing the infection himself.  The ALT is due to his cells killing infected cells and DNA is released when he lyse the infected cells.  The infereon just speeded up the process.  What are your though?

otan was und in few weeks alredy for both hbsag and hbvdna while alt increased fortuantely and that s due to infected cells killing, if alt are normal hbsag cant decrease

there is another thread with update at 16 weeks with evrything und, she was to start hbv vaccine and zadaxin to make hbsab but she works in the jungle in asia i dont know if she will report updates soon on antibodies hbsab

in any case even without hbsab antibodies hbsag and hbvdna can stay negatve
I mean Otan's  hbsag is <500iu/ml and alt and DNA was elevated BEFORE he started interferon therapy.  His Hbsag is very low but does not fulfil the criteria for inactive carrier.  

it doesn t matter anymore the posts are about interferon plus simvastatin plus vit d and how she cleared hbsag in less thn 24 weeks which is extremely fast and rare
Grmr,
24/8/12 was my 45th dose.
I fell healthy now , I get my appetite back. Good....
how long is your treatment? any problem with hair? did u get you tiroyd gland values monitored?
48 weeks and now I finished 45 weeks.
No problem with hair, before I have appetite problem , skin (itching), thrombosit down (have blood on my saliva) and fell weak.
often If I do something sitting on the ground then  I will be unstable when I stand up.
Never check tiroyd gland.
Now, I feel much better like I am getting back close to normal.
do you use generic interferon ?
I am using injection type, peginterferon alfa 2A, 180 microgram/ 0.5 ml

they have both intf and peginterferon generic in vietnam and some other asian countires which are giving up these stupids patents but it makes no difference if generic or not