Hepatitis B Community
HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive

It appears HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive patients may have core or precore mutations, which results in active replication of virus.

When I had Genotype test it came out as follows :
      Hepatits B virus Genotype    A
     Plymerase mutations            NOT DETECTED
     PRECORE MUTATIONS       NOT DETECTED
     BCP MUTATIONS                NOT DETECTED

Tests also mentioned no resistance predicted for treatment with 5 approved drugs. Did not mention VIREAD in the list, probably being a new drug. I am currently taking VIREAD.

Does this mean I am an inactive carrier ?  

As I learned from this forum any one having HBsAg is in-fact an active carrier. But his/her infection may be low or high based on DNA viral load. If you have a low viral load it mean you are low infectious.  Even when PCR does not detect DNA load virus itself is there in the body and is replicating but at a very low rate. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

I am also HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive. How you have requested these Genotype test and how much it cost. Can anybody go for this or one need a referral from liver specialist?  
I think Genotype test needs to be referred by liver specialist.
how hight is high and how low is low on DNA viral load in iu/ml?
http://www.hepb.org/pdf/2009_US_Pocket_Guide_Complete_Booklet.pdf

Starting from page 40 (pharmocotherapy) explains treatment guidelines.

For HBeAg negative patients the threshold for treatment is > 2000 IU/ml or >10000 copies/ml.

biobrain: in some countries, you just walk into a lab and ask for this test. I had to pay approx €100 for getting it done here.

MEDXIA: what context? And for HbeAg state?
Is the test I had mentioned at the beginning a confirmation that there is no pre-core/core mutations ?

Or this test is not that useful ?

Any comment is appreciated.
What conclusions can be drawn from the "core/precore mutation tests" ?

Anyone know about this and the significance of GenoType ?
Genotype: it could influence a decision to start treating with peginterferon. A and B are relatively more easily brought under control than C and D. The genotype also gives  an indication as to how severe the disease is going to be.

precore/BCP: the jury still seems to be out.
On one hand the goal for treating HBeAg + patients is to get sero conversion (then stop treatment), the other HBeAg -ve it is open ended.

It is some what confusing to read HBeAg -ve/HBeAg anti-bodies +ve patients have low viral replication, but still require treatment. Where as HBeAg +ve patients treatment stops with sero conversion.

Is this because with treatment HBeAg +ve patients are converted to HBeAg -ve sooner and have better liver health, thus do not require treatment ?
HBeAg -ve people typically would have low viral replication -- in many cases, low enough to require no further treatment. If the DNA VL is high for Ag -ve people, it means that they have active viral replication despite their Ag -ve. Hence the treatment.

In general Ag +ve people fare worse than Ag -ve people, but keep in mind that this *by itself* is not a criterion for a prognosis or for starting treatment.
Thanks for the info.

If there is no mutation, can there be better prognosis for HBeAg -ve patients ?

I will share my viral load after 3 months on viral treatment. Before treatment counts were 90000 copies/ml and 30000 IU/ml.  Usualy IU vs count will be 1 to 5 times.

It is kind of interesting to see HBeAb +ve, yet there is active replication.
I am  HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive patients . Also LFT normal never any infection  

What if a person has a low viral load count that is undectable? Do you think if you tested a persons liver rather than there arm vein do you think you would get a more accurate reading?
What about if someone is

HBsAG ===== Negative
HBsAB ===== Positive > 100 consistent with immunity
HBcAB ===== Negative
HBeAG ===== Negative
HBeAB ===== Positive

with normal libver functions

what the situation and the status in this case? could anyone explain please? please help
Yeah man is very confuse i have seroconverted doc said hbs ab - , hbe ag - and hbe ab + , but stil i read that hbe ag - is harder to treat! Why they need treat if seroconverted? They do the treat to seroconvert so.......?fuuuuu
You have HBsAg -ve and HBsAb +ve, implies you are free of hep-B.

eAg-ve and eAb+ve are meaningless for you :)
How about HBsAg +ve, HBeAg -ve & HBeAb -ve as well?
Hello. bram44,you've mentioned the genotyping test. My husband had a visit with his doctor yesterday(3 mos. after starting Viread therapy) and asked about it. His VL dropped from about 400 000 UL/ml to just 100 IU/mL. It would be ideal to do the test now,before he goes UND.But the doctor said that this test is only reserved for clinical patients and referral for it,here in Canada, is not jon a walk-in basis. He also added that there have been reported inaccuracies with these test results. I don't know. I'm sort of disappoited that he is not easily available here in Canada. Take care-April
can anybody help to explain?
I would like to get an information about my husband's hep B blood test results.

hep B core IgM (HBcIgM) - negative
hep B surface Ag (HBsAg) - positive **
HBsAg value              - 6899.00 IU/ML
hep B surface Ab (HBsAb) - negative
hep B surface  Ab value  - >2.0 mIU/ML    0.0 - 10.0
hep B e antigen (HBeAg)  - negative
hep B e antibody (HBeAb) - positive **

I would like to know, how to read this results and what exactly does it mean. Does he have an active infection and is he infectious to others?
He has the virus since a childhood, the doctors say there is no treatment at the moment to get rid of the virus. I am just curious if there is still active virus and if he is infectious to the public. Does it affect the IVF treatment for us - I have been vaccinated and I am immune against hep B virus.
Thank you very much Marianna.
Please don't repeat post.
After using VIREAD for a month, my viral DNA became undetectable (from 90,000 copies/ml). Stayed that way so far. I continue to take VIREAD.

With doctor recommendation, I will be stopping medication after 1 year of taking this medicine. After that I will be monitoring AST/ALT every 6 months and DNA every year.
Good results.

Please keep us updated.
Good luck. Let's hope it stays UND forever.:) Please keep us posted.
I am on Viread for last 9 months. Started with viral load of 30000 IU/ml (90000 copies/ml), with eAg -ve and HBV genome type A.

Viral load became undetectable in next tests (which is after 1,3,6,9 months). I continued to take medicine and still the viral load is undetectable. AST/ALT readings are normal (mine are always in the normal, even with the viral load).

My doctor asked me to stop taking the medicine after 12 months of use and monitor the viral load every 2-3 months.

Thought this is something useful for all eAg-ve (and eAb+ve) patients.
My viral load test is as below:
HBVDNA= 2/000/000 copies/ml    350/000 Ul/ml
but HBeAG -  and HBeAb +
What does it mean?
HBsAg value              - 6899.00 IU/ML, this value is too high for inactive carrier so he just have low replication

since he is hbe negative and hbeab positive he might start off label treatment with alinia which can lower hbsag to negative in 1-2 years. i have the combo with entecavir and the first 4 weeks of combo hbsag dropped from about 5000 to 2000iu/ml, in a couple of days i will have the 12 weeks result

alinia is the only therapy that can help your husband to make hbsag negative.in case he also has hbvdna >2000iu/ml and high alt he can make combo like me with the following from most potent to less:
interferon+alinia, tenofovir+alinia, entecavir+alinia

that your hbvdna is toohigh and you need to make undetactable to prevent liver cancer and cirrohsis even if alt is almost normal

best therapies are in hbe negative/hbeab positive:
interferon , tenofovir, entecavir in combo with alinia

now there are many tests done on hbv so we know that precore and bcp mutations are present also in hbe positive and also in active and inactive carriers

active or inactive is just the result of immune factors not hbv

precore and bcp mutations tests ar useful because in these cases liver cancer and cirrhosis can be achived even with old normal range of alt so therapy is more indicated if hbvdna is detactable
hi this is Rajan  

here is a doctor's medical report

1.Serum Bilirubin Total         1.0        mg/dl  0.4-1
2.Serum  in Direct               0.5        mg/dl  0-0.4
3.SGPT                              84         IU/L    5-35
4.Alk.Phosphatase              94         U(K.A)3-150
5SGOT                               48         U/L    5-42
6.Serum Albumin                4.5         gm/dl 2.5-5.5

HBeAg                             Negative(ELISA)
HBeAb                             Negative(ELISA)

Prothrombin time;

Test              12.6      sec
Control          12.0      sec
INR                1.0