Hepatitis B Community
Has anyone cleared Hepatitis B as an adult?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hi there, I'm new here. I'm just wondering if anyone has cleared Hep B as an adult?

Would be interested to hear your stories.

Thanks.
if you get it when you are adult yes there is a chance to get cure
i know many cronic (chronic) patients who cleared hbsag by interferon at first time or after several courses by many years in both research or specialized centers i went

i never heard of clearance in normal hospitals
Hi, thanks for that. Can you give me details? Do you know how long they were on the drugs for? How bad were these chronic patients? Thanks.

they were followed at pisa or cagliari university center, they checked hbsag quantity baseline and after 12 weeks and so on, when there was a hbsag decline or low baseline they cleared or lowered hbsag by the years, a second course lowered it so much that it became negative

high hbsag baseline doesn0t clear, i will start interferon in pisa by 2-4 months having a low hbsag baseline, genotype is also important to know if there could be response.hbsag seroconversion is seen in about 37% at 5 year
Stef

I have some difficulties in here Lonodon to get hbsag quantity(Architect) and hbdna PCR as they do not do normaly. do you know any lab who can do it in London or anyother alternative.

About Nagalasa I might to travel to Holland at the end of this as its too complicated for me to ship the blood to Hooland

I am waiting level of my Vitamin D, May calciuam is a normal

If My hbsag is low I would like to come to pisa in order to get medication from the researchers.

What is your advice

UK healthcare is the worst in western europe, if you happen to move to france or belgium you will find it anywhere at liver clinics but i know other members could find it in UK, dont remember if london

another member just took a ryanair flight to pisa to come and make a full check at cisanello hospital since there are direct flights as cheap as a bus ticket, you just need to call the hospital first to know if you need prescription

as to costs i remember that italy and uk have agreements and i took a friend of mine at hospital for a visit and it was totally free of charge (but we were very scared i think it was victoria hospital or something...so dirty as a loo, we were afraid to catch something there)

nagalase is nothing urgent, unless hbvdna is undetactable my guess is you will find it elevated
maybe you can try to discuss on university of london, if you want to stay in london area,

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/news/birkbeck-university-of-london-and-institute-of-hepatology-announce-new-partnership

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/recommend-HBV-clinics-in-Europe/show/1596245?personal_page_id=2249050 - will be a a place to look, but nothing in UK (france, italy and germany look the best options)

I found out I had hepb in feb 2010 by April, I was near death. My dr prescribed baraclude .5mg once per day. By may 1, 2010 all liver functions back to normal. I stopped taking baraclude in December of 2010. How long do I have before my liver crashes again. I was so sick of having to rely on medication for survival. Is this normal for me to feel this way? Although I show no signs of being sick, I can't help but feel that I am on borrowed time.  I don't know if I can force myself to take medication as an alternative to death. Please help me. I don't know what to do

you are crazy, do find a good liver specialist, you cant take antivirals and just stop them........they cant be stopped once you start it can lead to death any person even if no liver damage

the only way to stop them is by taking interferon combo and slowly stop antiviral

antivirals are not a cure of hbv and have no effect on the virus, they just stop liver damage so you have to take them all life and monitor liver by fibroscan not only by blood tests

baraclude is also dangerous for resistance if you start and stop like that, tenfovir might be better choice
What are my chances that I have gained immunity to hbv. My doctor believes infection was December 2009. As of may 2010, I did not have an immunity
if your doctor believes that the infection was in Dec 2009 (I don't know why he believe that) and you find out in Feb 2010 - you should be in acute phase.

what was the tests and the results on feb 2010 ?
what is you current status ?
My doctor believes I was on acute stage in feb 2010. I was jaundiced, my urine looked like tea and my stool was very light in color. He believes infection occured in dec 2009 because I was in a monogamous sexual relationship with a woman for almost 20 yrs. She tested neg to hbv. On dec 20, 2009 I got a tattoo. That was the most likely culprit says the doctor. I tested positive for hbv in feb 2010 and no immunity showing in tests performed in may 2010. I haven't taken any medication since early dec 2010

if acute you can stop 6 months after hbsab positive
Sounds like I need to see a dr. What tests should I make sure he does?

hbsag, hbsab, hbvdna pcr
Thank you. I will post my labs when I get the results. Which will take how long?
My doctor believes I was on acute stage in feb 2010 - during the active phase of HBV anti HBc IgM are positive and this is one test that show if you are in a acute or chronic phase.