Hepatitis B Community
Have been on TNF (Virkil) for 18 months but HBeAG still reactive

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Dear All,

I am female 38 years old from Vietnam.

I would like to have your advice on my Hepatitis B status. I got HepatitisB when I was 20 years old, I had baby when I was 30 years old and after 6 months I had my first baby I got ALT as 1200 and my viral is 10 log 9. I started Entecavir for a year and my DNA below normal range that can't be found. The Doctor advised that I can stop the medication. After 9 months stopping ENT, I got severe HB chronic and my ALT was 1500 and viral 10 log 6.

I started treatment by the Doctor Zadaxin combo with Zeffix for 15 months my HbeAG still reactive but my Doctor advised that I could stop and I had another baby. I was on pregnant for 6 months and I got severe HB again with the ALT as 2500 and viral as 10 log 5. I started TNF (Virkil) treatment during the pregnancy until now I have been on TNF for 18 months. My viral DNA was below the range that can be found when I got the treatment for 6 months but until now my HBeAG still reactive. My doctor advised me still continue on TNF. I would appreciate your opinion whether I should change the medication or combo with another drug. Can I start Integferon when vial DNA is below the range? Thanks for your support!
first of all change doctor because he ismaking a mess of your treatment, the only good thing was the use of tenofovir which lowers hbv replication and block liver damage but it is ineffective to clear hbv.

you can check your hbsag quantity and if low add peginterferon, this will allow to clear both hbeag and hbsag, check the other posts and other members like you who cleared by this sequential treatment

if hbsag is not low keep tenofovir for about 3 years and then add on intf

hbvdna is useless both to say if pegintf add on is needed or to say if you are clearing hbv, it is just a test to measure response to the antiviral, only hbsag quantity in iu/ml can tell if you are clearing hbv infected cells in your liver and if pegintf add on will clear hbv definitively

in any case if you like you can add pegintf after 1 year of tenofovir and even if hbsag is high because if hbsag has not decreased by the 12th week of add on you are not responding to intf nd you can stop it and keep tenofovir only
Hi Stef, Thanks alot for your time to response my question.It's very useful for me indeed!.

I have read most of the post and actually when I was pregnant the your advice for other members  was very reassuring for me to decided to take TNF. I wish I learned this forum before!

Thanks again and thanks everyone for sharing!
Hi, I think the doc first course of treatment is to lower the DNA virus and lower the liver inflammation (ALT). As it's been previously pointed out, there is no cure for Hep B. 2 course of interferon did not sero-convert the other poster grmr so it's no guarantee. Also, are you eating healthy as well?Good luck.
Thanks for your comments. I can not afford the side effect of Interferon as well as cost. I am planning to take TNF the whole life which make me very sad. I try to eat healthy and stay positive.
Can you manage to come with report of HBsAg levels in forum? as Stef said,better to high light USG/fibroscan status if possible.

Stay Blessed
Thanks. I will do the test and posted here. Appreciate your help very much!

In Vietnam I feel very lonely with this dieses noone to talk to and lack of information sharing with other HBVs.