Hepatitis B Community
HbsAg Postive, HbeAg negative and HbeAb Postive medication help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I saw your other posts on the forum and I myself am doing a lot of research on finding out the best possible cure for hep B HbeAg -ve patients.

I came to know thru a routine medical examination in Jan 2007 that I am HbsAg +ve and HbeAg -ve  and Anti HbeAg +ve with following data

HBV DNA PCR Quant: 144341 copies/ml

LFT is normal (no elevated SGOT(23.0)/SGPT(24.0))

HBeAg : 0.23 (<1 is considered non reactive)

Anti HbeAg: 0.05 (1.1 positive), also SGOT and SGPT were high here 30.9 and 43.9.

Then I started Entecavir 0.5 mg every day for 9 months and due to some un avoidable circumstances, I dropped the therapy after that. I would like to mention here that I had the HBV DNA (PCR Quant) done in July 2007 and April 2008 and both of them were UND.

Then I had another HBV DNA (PCR Quant) done in Oct 2008 and this time I had 10,750 viral copies/ml.

My doctor advised me to start the Entecavir again in Nov 2008 and Since then I am on this therapy.

I had the HBV Quant PCR done in Mar 2009 and May 2009 and both of them were UND. Recently I have had another PCR done for which I am waiting for the results.

The ALT/AST levels are always under limits and never crossed the limits.

How should I know when to stop treatment, any signs or lookups in reports? or only doctor can advise this? My doctor in India told me to continue this treatment till one year and monitor the LFT and DNA reports. I have already completed one year.

If this time as well the DNA Quant is UND then what is the course of action? Should I wait to lost HbeAg? what parameters to look for for losing HbeAg?

What is the success rate of Entecavir in curing Hep B?

Should I consider changing to Pegasys (if that helps in my case HbeAg -ve) or tenfovir or a combination of Entecavir and tenfovir or Pegasys?

Please let me know what do you think about this?

Thanks a lot for your time in reading this.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
HS
Your presentation looks similar to Aprils, see me response to her here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/Please-help-me-decide/show/1105258

Corresct me if I am wrong, but you are already HBeAg negative and HBeAb positive?  If so then you may need life long treatment.  If was clear in your case that once you stopped meds, your DNA rebounded.  You should definately stay on Entecavir to stay UND.  Entecavir holds down viral replication, it doesn't not cure HepB.  There is currently no cure.

I think antiviral(s) make more sense for you than Pegasys.
Hi Steven,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I have been on Baraclude for more than a year from when it relapsed. The two PCR's say I had UND and i am waiting for 3rd one.

Is it a good state to get Pegasys or INF? (Since their chances of cure seems high as compared to any oral drugs, though for HbeAg -ve patients the chances are a bit low 20-25%) I think doctors prefer Pegasys as first level drug for Hep C not B.

As i think the ideal state for baraclude to be stopped would be HbsAg -ve and HbsAb +ve (chances of which on baraclude seems to be 2-3%) and tenfovir has around 5% or something.

Do we have anyone here who has been cured from this condition?

Any ideas??

Thanks,
HS
If you stay on Entecavir, it will stay UND.  Stop and chances are DNA will start climbing, which is not good.  This only helps the virus to develop resistance.

Pegasys or INF has limited sustain response for e- infections.  You could try but it very unlikely to clear.  Most have to factor in cost and side effects.

There have been people who clear the virus on antiviral(s) but I don't know of any.  It's very unlikely.  

For the most part, treatment is about disease management.
what is the meaning of the following test in hepatitis b ;hbsAG POSITIVE,HBsab negetive,hbeAG negetive ,hbeab positive
What is the cure point of HBeAg and HBeAb. what is the medicine for cure.
                                                                   santosh kumar
                                  email.  santosh.santoshmanorama.***@****