Hbsab levels AFTER acute infection
I recently had the HBV vaccine, and my hbsab level was 204 after two injections. I didn't have a test for hbsab levels before the vaccination, but I'd like to know if I have ever had the HBV virus and have recovered. Would i have had much higher levels than 204 if I have had acquired the hbsab due to an actual infection? Or is the only way to find out is to have a hbcab test? I had a negative hbsag test so am not currently infected.

Thank you.
The only reliable way to findout is to test HbcAb.
Thanks for your reply. I went to a private clinic and was advised that I would have hbsab levels in the 1000s if I'd had the virus. I was after a second opinion, but as you say the only way to truly tell is the hbcab test. If I had the hbcab test, is there any chance there would be a false positive? Thanks again.
it is better to check with the lab, depends on testing system. but the chance is very little.
Whether you have been exposed to virus earlier or not in both cases you are immunized, so whether through active manner or passive manner immunization had occurred successfully.You should complete your third dose at month 6, without going any assay attempt.    
The reason for needing to find out if I've ever had the virus is to determine if I've ever put my wife at risk as I have previously been unfaithful. She's had a period of unexplained diarrhoea but I've had no symptoms that I can remember. I just want to get it out of my mind. Thanks for all your comments.
and was advised that I would have hbsab levels in the 1000s

be aware that most liver specialists are ignorants so check research papaers and do not trust what they say 100%
hbsab in the 1000 is not comon on all patients clearing hbv and it goes low after few months/years.having the antibody continuously in the 1000 range means there is still battle going on in the liver (some residual, not detactable cccdna inside the liver cells), anyway it is not a matter of hbsab levels

to know if you ve had hbv in the past check hbcab, is positive you had it.to know if you ve had it recently like 6-12months hbcab igm positive indicate a recent infection

as to your wife, like all adults, she cleared hbv in case you passed it to her, you should get her tested for security.only immune suppression due to drugs, pregnancy or bad diet (processed foods) can damage immune system and make hbv chronic on adults, in any case less than 4% adults with this immune suppression can develop chronic hbv
hi stef how about my post at community is it possible to cure plz reply tnx