Hepatitis B Community
Help with test-results (3rd country)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Help with test-results (3rd country)

Two days ago I had a full blood test, that included HIV, TB, Sy and Hepatitis (A,B,C). All the results came back under the limits, e.g. negative, except of one indicator: HBcAB. My doctor (a normal GP) told me that I probably was exposed to Hepatitis B, but my body recovered from it by itself and now he is pushing me for a Hepatitis B vaccine. I would trust this doctor, yet I just want to be sure that my results are fine.

If anyone can interpret them, please give me some feedback:

HAV-IgM - 0.10 - S/C0 - (0.00 - 1.00)
HCV-IgG - 0.08 - S/C0 - (0.00 - 1.00)

HBsAg - 0.00 - ng/ml - (0.00 - 0.20)
HBsAb - 1.87 - mIU/ml - (0.00 - 10.00)
HBeAg - 0.02 - PEIU/ml - (0.00 - 0.50)
HBeAb - 0.00 - PEIU/ml - (0.00 - 0.20)
HBcAb - 2.94 - PEIU/ml - (0.00 - 0.90)

As you can see, the HBcAb is almost 200% over the "limit". I tried to find some relevant information on the net, but it's very conflicting. I never had a vaccine, btw.

The month before the blood tests were taken I had a flu/bronchitis and took antibiotics for one week. The blood was drawn two days after I stopped the antibiotics.

I am currently in China, but as far as I know those tests here are at a western level.

Please give me some advise on further steps (if needed).

Thanks! :)

PS: I am still wondering how I got it, since I always used a condom during sex. Can unprotected oral sex be the cause?

Your doctor is right. Because your HBsAg is negative and your HBcAb is positive, this would indicate a past exposure to HBV and you have fully recovered from the infection. Normally, you should also have a higher level of HBsAb, but antibodies do wane over time, even though there will be an immune memory. Because it is less than 10 iu/l, the level considered to be protective, your doctor is suggesting that a get a booster vaccination to bring up the level of HBsAb.
Thank you for your answer. Is there any way to indicate the time period I had that encounter, so I could possibly warn that person? Maybe she doesn't know.
There may be a way to have an estimate, but I am not that expert. Anyway, most people don't know how and when they were infected.