Hepatitis B Community
Hep B - how is it possible?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hep B - how is it possible?

Hello, I'm in really weird situation. I had some tests and my blood test showed Hep B surface Ag (HBsAg) positive and Anti HBc (IgG/IgM) positive. The weird thing is that I had my vaccine when I was a child (Engerix B) and in 2008 year I had repeat of it. It seems like I have infection but for over a year I was only with my boyfriend who was tested as negative. I didn't have any recent surgery, anything really. Tomorrow I'm going to different place to test my blood again but in this moment it looks just strange for me.
You can take hepatitis B from many sources, for example using razors or toothbrush that came into contact with someone infected. I too got vaccined and last year i discovered i have it, as you without having sexual relationships with anybody else besides my wife which doesn't have it .
I shared sometimes razors with my sister  but she also got vaccine when she was young, I didn't share toothbrush with anybody. I just really don't understand it
I was in the same situation as you, i don't know how i got this virus, i never had sexual relationships with anyone beside my wife, she doesn't have it. She has antibodies, i sonehow come into contact with it .
Do you know if you got infected before or after the vaccine? Is your wife immune then?
Hi melcul,

Your wife had antibodies before your marriage or she got vaccination after found that you have HBV?
She had a vaccine like i did, some years ago. But doesn't work for everybody . We suspect she got infected from me and developed antibodies, but we will check hbc igm to see whether is from my or vaccine
OK Mercul, Thanks for your info.