Hep B, can my kids have it too...?
I have been recently diagnosised with hep B, acute illness. My report shows anitboidies and that the virus is not active. I have no idea how long I have it from. I have two kids, my last one born in 2009. Could both my kids have hep B? Is yes, is there a treatment to cure this completely? And also does this mean they are infected or contagious for life? Please please please, somebody let me know. This is just killing me!
Can you post all your test results and when you are diagnosed.

I am assuming your test is showing no antibodies.

Have your kids tested and get them vaccinated (if they are not already). Your kids may be clear of this virus, the only way to know is to get them tested.

Please visit the following link :
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153

You should not be worried, rather start taking care of yourself and the people around you.
Thank you for your reply. I will post the results soon when I have a copy of it. One more question, am I contagious for live now? even though mine is an acute case?
If you are diagnosed as "acute" - then yes, you can pass it on to people who are not immune. If you can take some common-sense precautions the chances of spreading is very very low.

please check the link I posted earlier - which explains some precautions you could take to protect your near and dear.
Dear Newcase,
If you are diagnosed with an acute case of HepB and that was done recently then you will have been infected within the last 2-3 months or so. This means that you have a 90-95% chance of clearing the virus and being immune for life. Depending on when you were infected you may still be in the phase when you are quite infectious and so need to take care over blood. You must also get your family vaccinated against the virus, to be on the safe side. You are best to go see your liver specialist to ask all the relevant questions about what your blood panel shows and I am afraid it is a mattter of waiting til the virus goes. It can take up to 6months from when the first symptoms of the virus became apparent. I hope this helps.
Brit
Dear britgirl477,

Let me be more clear, my blood work shows I might have had an episode of hep b in past but I am not in acute stage now though. I still have more blood work results to come back for more findings. Do you think I am still contagious? Any help is much appreciated (before I get see my doctor). Thanks!
Ok I am confused. Are you chronic? Is your HBsAg positive or negative? When you say your virus is not active anyomore do you mean that the HBsAg is negative? If this is what you mean then you may have had the virus and then cleared it hence the antibodies. Please clarify.
Brit