Hepatitis B Community
Hep B Serology

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hep B Serology

Hi Everyone!

I have a general question regarding Hepatitis B vaccination. This question stems mostly from my paranoia but here goes!

I am a healthcare worker and have been for the past 4 years. I was vaccinated with a full series of Hep B vaccinations back in 1997. When I was to start my new job in 2003, they requested a titer for Hep B in addition to proof of vaccination. The subsequent titer came back negative. My physician said that in terms of vaccination, the titer can often become lower over time, however the cells are "amnestic" and can remake antibody when challenged.

My job however, still required that I get a documented titer, so my physician gave me a booster dose and subsequently retitered me following a month and I was positive for the Hep B S Ab. I've also researched this on the CDC and it states that titers outside of 1-2 months following the last dose is meaningless.

Do I now have immunity to the virus?
Should I go get tested for the core Ab?
---I have no risk factors, asides from being a health care worker currently...but I do have the documented + titer prior to starting this job. I was not born in the US but did not grow up in an endemic area, and my mother is HepB negative. I have also never had any elevated liver function tests.

PS: For those who saw my last post regarding HCV...I tested negative! Thanks for your support.
One more quick question...
Would I have responded to the HepB vaccine if I had already had the infection?
Help please :)
Since you tested positive for Hep B S Ab, it usually indicates immunity.  To be sure, check to make sure your Hep B S Ab is negative.

If your doctor gave you the shots, it usually means that you were never infected with HepB.  In this case, there is no reason to test for the core Ab.  That is the marker for past or present infection.

But I'm no doctor, so run the above info with your doctor.  Good luck.
Did you mean check to make sure that my Hep B S Ag is negative? I know that my surface Hep B S Ab is positive because of the vaccination.
Yeah - methinks he did.. LOL!

Meki
Oops, should have been:

To be sure, check to make sure your Hep B S Ag is negative.

Thanks Meki.  Too much fun during Labor Day weekend.  Brain is still on leave.  LOL!
Brain? You have Brain?

Woohooo! A man with a Brain!!!

*GRIN*

Meki
I got tested! Thanks for your advice. As expected, I had a positive Hep B S Ab and negative core and Ag, indicating immunity from vaccination. I also had a high titer, well above the 10mIU/ml needed to confer immunity!

Thanks for the support :)
Anytime--- thatsa whata we do-a....

LOL!

Meki