Hepatitis B Community
Hep B and drinking...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hep B and drinking...

I come here to ask a question. I know, generally speaking, people with Hep B should AVOID alcohol. However, it's always a topic up for debate. However, if one does continue to drink with Hep B, how much would be allowed? I do see conflicting reports... some say 2-3 beers/drinks a week MAX is ok. Others say 1 drink a day is fine but try to get 2-3 days of no drinking in during the week.

I had my ultrasound done and my doctor found absolutely NO liver damage on it (Thankfully!) despite the enzymes being 107 (they went up from last test). Everything else checked out ok too! As far as I and him are concerned, I am or was in the acute phase. Next test will reveal more. He mentioned to me that I should ideally avoid alcohol but said if I had a beer a day, it was only 7% alcohol and would not kill me at this stage.

I will be honest.. I had ONE beer last night. This morning, I felt nauseous and like I wanted to vomit but I'm uncertain if that was from the beer (never did that to me before) or if it was from the food I ate last night.
Hi Lucky
We'll one suggestion I would have is if it feels bad then don't do it.
I found this in on a page from University of Washington:

http://depts.washington.edu/hepstudy/healthed/counselingHepB/discussion.html

"What can I do to protect my liver and stay as healthy as I can with this chronic infection?
There are a number of things you can do to care for your liver when you have chronic hepatitis B (Figure 8). You need to see a health professional regularly for this infection. You should ideally avoid drinking any alcohol (beer, wine, or hard liquor). If you continue to drink alcohol, you should limit your intake to (Figure 8) a maximum of two drinks per week if you are a man, or one drink per week if you are a woman[3,5]. Acetaminophen, commonly know as Tylenol, is actually safe to take if you need it for pain relief, as long as you limit the quantity to no more than four extra-strength tablets (or 2000 mg) per day. Many medications are safe for the liver in someone with chronic hepatitis B. You should let your doctor know about any medications you are taking to be sure they are safe. This includes herbs or other "natural" supplements, as some of these can be harmful to the liver."

Yes they do reference what you said about 2 alcohol beverages a week for male but really why would you want to put your health at risk for a beer is it really worth it?

Finally I recommend you see your Dr for your symptoms they can best know about your questions in light of your serious health condition

Good luck Lucky
Lynn
I understand there are two major complications that Hepatits b can take you to. First is liver cirohis, second is called HCC. If your liver has no damage and your viral load undetectable then ocasional drinking should not provoke cirohis I belive (at least you can drink and monitor your liver by fibroscan if you want and stop drinking completele if your histology getting worse). On the other hand drinking alcohol may increase your chance of HCC even you have perfect liver. By how much your chance of HCC is increased drinking alchocol I do not know, never seen studies on that. Most doctors say cut drinking completele but such recommendation seems not reasonable rather emotional, though I cut drinking completely. Drinking is surely toxic for your liver we all know that and it is not a question. Question is by how much will it increase your chance of getting HCC ?    
  having hep b , and being a alcoholic , what is my outcome of my life, and how long do i have? and if i cant give it to others , being a carrier , does it mean i will not be affected like others are by having it?
the best thing you can do is stop drinking and test your liver function test as well as hbv panel to see exactly where you are!