Hepatitis B Community
Hep B inconclusive

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hep B inconclusive

My boyfriends Hep B test results have been inconclusive twice in the past month. Can anyone tell me what this means for me? Should I be worried? I tested negative one month ago but he keeps testing inconclusive. Does this mean he has been carrying for years? That he has just caught it? That he doesn't even have it??
Very worried and I can't ask him or the clinic as I am not supposed to know, I found out by accident.

keeps testing inconclusive.

never heard this, doctor and lab might be very very very poor.test hbsag quantity and hbsab quantity with abbott architect, hbsag siemens or hbsag quant roches, all other tests are very old and very poor sensibility, old tests cant detect all hbsag types and the mutant tests negative while being high quantity positive.those machines test detect even 0.03-0.05iu/ml of hbsag

test also hbvdna pcr with sensibility 6iu/ml or 12iu/ml, higher lower range sensibility like 20iu/ml or higher are old tests

if hbsag test positive check hbcab igm to know if it is cronic (chronic) hbv or just acvute hbv.hbv is never cronic (chronic) if caught adults unless drug users or medicines that destroy immune system are used
Thanks for your reply.. I am just unsure as to whether this means he has had it, been exposed to it or it is just a poor quality test. It was organised by a private clinic in California ,US so I would imagine doc and lab are ok??

He does not use drugs (steroids used way way back) and no reason for immune deficiency.

If he has had it, it has cleared from his system, I assume I am safe? Sorry to sound stupid but this is very new to me..
would imagine doc and lab are ok??

no for hbv US is worst than ghana....it is the less updated country in the world, you ll only find those very old tests useless to monitor infectiona and liver damage.it is also difficult to find liver specialist updated but this is everywhere not only US

if he has had it, it has cleared from his system, I assume I am safe? Sorry to sound stupid but this is very new to me..

rich and poor countries have mandatory vaccine at birth, even cuba has, so i guess you have it too in US, if he got it you dont....anyway the test to know if hbv is present or not is extremely stupid and inconclusive doesn t exist, just read the lab reports:

hbsag   reactive...........thismeans he got hbv and can be acute or cronic (chronic)
hbsab   non reactive.....this is hbv immunity antibody, as long as negative infection is present
hbcab igm non reactive  cronic (chronic) hbv/reactive acute hbv

hbvdna pcr, virus replication

you are not safe as long as you are not vaccinated, hbsag test takes same day/1 day, i d test and buy vaccine at pharmacy as soon as possible
Thankyou for the advice. Wish I had the lab reports but they are not mine so they are confidential. I just heard that the results were inconclusive on 2 occasions. I have no idea what this means. Unless they just didn't want to release the true results to a third party. But my bf said he never received the results. I don't think he's lying and don't want to accuse him of lying.

I guess my only option is to get vaccinated for now.