Hepatitis B Community
Hep B surf ab

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hep B surf ab

Hey i have a question.

What does it mean when you're Hep B surf ab came back postive..
but my Hepatitis C AB came back negative..

I'm freaking out???

Assuming that Hep B surf ab stands for the antibody to the Hepa B surface antigen (aka anti-HBsAg), being positive for it is a good thing. It means you have either received the vaccine OR have been infected with Hepa B but recovered. Please ask the doctor who requested for these tests if the level of antibodies in your blood is enough to fight off Hepa B should your body encounter it again (in other words, is the level of antibodies in your blood protective against Hepa B).

Your Hep C AB came back negative because you haven't received the vaccine and you haven't been infected with Hepa C.
It is my antibody .. I went to my doctors to show them the test results because i was sobbing my eyes out she said being postive was a good thing because i'm immune to it.. she said i was either tested somewhere,. there  not sure where.. now this is the medical assistant telling me all this.. she said if it came back negative that is when i would have to worry..

wasnt sure if she knew what she was talking about... because i'm not sure she showed my doctor my results.. i was tested from a Dermatologists  to figure out other issues i was having and they couldnt give me any answers to anything..  

so would i go back to my regular doctor and talk 2 her about all this or no?
and does this mean i don't have 2 worry about anything"??
Being positive for the Hepa B surface antibody is a good thing. Now all you have to do is ask your doctor or a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist if the level of antibody in your blood is high enough to fight off the Hepa B virus should your body encounter it.

If you have any more questions and are confused by the opinions of the well-meaning people on the forum, go to this link:

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/B/bFAQ.htm

Incidentally, it is World Hepatitis Day tomorrow, July 28. A free clinic and many educational activities about hepatitis and its deleterious effects will be held at Medical Center Manila starting at 8 am tomorrow.