Hepatitis B - Stop treatment or switch from Lamivudine to Tenofovir?
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well!

I was hoping to get folk's opinion on the below if possible.

A little background, I'm 32 years old of Asian decent, born with Hep B, and been on Lamividine for 8+ years due to a very bad flair up 9 years ago. The viral load is controlled after treatment...< detectable copies but still "detected" if that makes sense.

At 23 I did a biopsy and was at stage 2 Fibrosis.  I am E-Antigen negative (pre-core mutant strand).

That said, my Hepatologist at California CMPC asked me to join a study to stop treatment recently.  Which I was excited to try.

However, after doing another biopsy last month, my results are in and I'm at stage "2 to 2.5" so to speak Fibrosis.  He said because of this, I am too "at risk" to stop medication.  He's afraid that I might flare up quickly and potentially reach cirrhosis quickly.  He asked that I switch to Tenofovir immediately to avoid mutation.

He's seems to be one of the best hepotologists around so I'm torn whether to still push to stop treatment.

The reason being I've been "semi-drowsy" for years with nerve issues, all of which I'm inclined to tie to the medication side-effects.  Since for some days when I forget to take the pill I feel somewhat better. Ultimately, it's good reasoning that all medication are not natural and is "part poison".  Which is why I still want to think about stopping.

Any advice on whether to push to try stopping medication or switch to Tenofovir in my current situation will be much appreciated!

Thank you ahead of times!
Eric
tenofovir add on to lamivudine and stop of lam after 6months if hbvdna und

why did you keep using lam which worsen hbv infection mutating the virus?

if you plan peginterferon plus tenofovir it is best to start with tenofovir and keep it at least a year so response to pegintf add on will be better, only in case of very low hbsag peginterferon monotherapy can clear hbsag to undetectable