Hepatitis B Core Antibody Reactive
I recently attempted to donate blood however, I received a letter from the blood center saying that I tested positive/reactive to Hepatitis B Core Antibody, but negative for Hepatitis B Surface Antigen.  However, three years ago before entering college I received the set of three immunizations against Hepatitis.  I was wondering if you could tell me what having tested reactive for the Hepatitis B Core Antibody means and how this could have happened if I was immunized.  
Thank You,
Chris
Please help me understand these lab results  HBsAG  Neg  Hep B Surf AB 208.0 H HBsAB  Positive Hep B Cor AB Reactive Hep C AB NEG
Barbiedoll222

Thanks, good thread to bring back to the top.
Normally you would start a new thread of your own.

Check out our welcome page, it has a diagnostic matrix, it will help.
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153

Looks like you had been exposed to HBV and cleared it and are now immune...this is good.

After reading this whole thread and seeing HR post here, I want to confirm for those here that questioned HR's qualifications.
Make no mistake here, HR is one of a handful of the top Hepatitis researchers in the world and, a top medical doctor as well, and a microbiologist. He helped develop the most sensitive pcr viral load test commercially available to us as patients. NGI <2 iu/ml  hcv,  and NGI 1-2 copies per ml HBV.

Many do not realize how very very fortunate we are to have him here on the HCV and HBV forums. His posts on the HCV forum are truly some of the best explanations of the basic Hepatitis microbiology a laymen could ever expect to get.

I recommend for anyone interested in Hepatitis to do a search and read each of HR's posts in full. Even if you are interested in only HBV, the HCV posts will help explain pcr's and the workings of our immune systems response to Hepatitis and meds.

apache

Please help me get answers for my result,my result says HBsAB, Qual reactive, Anti-HBCore reactive,HAV AB, Total reactive, what does these mean please. Somebody help me.
                                                                    Betty
Betty,

It is best to open your own thread.  But here is the answer:

HBsAB reactive means you are immune to HBV.  If you are HBsAB reactive, don't worry about the rest.  You are safe from HBV.
I am working mom, and a dedicated wife and wanted to get our family protected against HepB that's why I signed up all 3 of us (me, my husband and 4 year old) to get the vaccine.  As a pre-requisite for vaccination, we all underwent the HBSAG test, my husband and son came out non-reactive. I came out reactive.  I had a re-test with the same heart-breaking result. I have never had any sexual partner but my husband as he is my first and only.  How could I have gotten this? Clearly the time line when I got the virus was after I gave birth to my son because he is non-reactive (thank God).  Once my family gets the vaccine, will they be protected from getting it from me? As for me and my husband, can we no longer be intimate or have the 2nd baby we're planning on?  I am confused, heartbroken and shaken. Pls Help.

---Sophia
Your family is perfectly safe from you if they have developed antibodies. Have they all been tested for HBsAb?
As for you: you need to get several other tests done. In all likelyhood, you are almost perfectly healthy at the moment, so no immediate worries. But you need to educate yourself. http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153 is a good place to start.

Also, it is considered somewhat rude here if you post your own questions in someone else's unrelated thread. I know you did not mean to be rude... but for your next questions, can you start one thread of your own and ask all your questions there? We will answer you there.
Chances are almost ZERO, my wife was tested + for anti-hsbg and - for HSBG, but PCR. Was positive, doctor said that PCR was positive but viral load is undectatable and probavly caused by her hepB vaccine
Core positive and surface negative does indeed mean that there has been an infection in the past. In about 10% of the people infected with Hep B, the body creates its own antibodies and takes care of the virus itself, leaving a core positive. This means that, as you were told, you can never give blood. What it DOES NOT mean; however, is that you are immune. That is simply not true. You CAN get Hep B again if you are exposed.
My test shows that but I've been vaccinated.  ??
In about 10% of the people infected with Hep B, the body creates its own antibodies

no it is not 10% it is 98%, only babies infected at birth gets cronic hbv

you can t give blood when you get any viral disease because the viruses are never totally cleared you just get immune control over them abd if you get aids or take steroids or anything that destroys immune system these viruses come back.so to avoid spread of dangerous viral diseases like hbv,hcv, hiv all the blood with cleared or cronic infection are not used
hi,,,
im a physical studemt thrapist and i know i got the vaccine as a baby and a booster about 10 years ago.. i was asked to do a hepatitis b antobody test to rule it out and fill some forms.. i got surface ag negative, core ag negative, and surface ab unknown... what does this unknown mean and if i have to take the complete vaccination again or only a booster..
thank you
and surface ab unknown.

they did not make the test, or used old kits or machines with very poor sensibility....ask for hbsab test by abbott architect it has the highest sensibility
I have positive Hep B core Antibody, others are all negative, but the GGT always high and sometimes a liittle bit high ALT. Doctor said, Hep B negative and they said High GGT is due to fatty liver. but I think Hep B viruse is still there, High GGt is due to Hep B, am I right?

fatty liver makes more damage than hbv....you must resolve fatty liver first (hbv makes damage only to few patients)

when fatty liver is present there is also damage to all organs because cholesterol and inflammation are often present on all body
suhail ahmed dayo Pakistan
M.sc(Clinical Microbiology)
Dear all
Hepatitis B vaccine is available after vaccination u should made a test of Hepatitis B Surface antibody if in test result HBS antibody reactive then u r immunized   if test results are non reactive then u may test Hepatitis profile,u should remember that if u r immunized,
Immunization period is only 3 to 5 years,
Thanx & regard
SAD
I am going a bit crazy, I have been been told during routine testing that I am negative for B surface antigen, B Surface Antibody but postive for Core.

We then did the PCR and it came back negative....these tests were done in the screening for organ donation.  

My primary care physician said it was a false positive which even the Mayo Clinic who did the original test said could occur.
Doctor recommended I receive the vaccination, which I have started.

Transplant team is now telling me they want to understand the results. And I need to see a specialist.

Should I be freaking out again?
hi all ! Could you explain me, my lab test: HBsAg + ,
Hep B surface Ab 5.37, Hep B Core Ab +  ALT-24 and AST-17
what that mean

Thank you all
what that mean

Thank you all

i think you had occult hbv but the problem is machines used in US are very very very old and should not be used especially for screeing because they dont detect all type of hbsag.so in the first test you could have been flase negative hbsag or flase positive hbcab

test for hbeag and hbeab too and check if the machine used are:

Abbott Architect, Siemens Enzygnost HBsAg 6.0 or Roche quantitative Elecsys HBsAg II

check hbvdna with a high sensibility assay able to detect as low as 6iu/ml

after you have rechecked all markers with those machines post again.

was wondering what this means for my friend and what she needs to do? hepititis b core anti body positive (HBc) total igm and igG
my 13 yr old son has had slightly elevated liver enzymes for about 3 years now...doctors have always said just watch it but this lasttime I pushed them to do further testing.  His his HepB core total AB was positive his HepB surface AG and HepB surface AB where both negative.  He was vaccinated for Hep B at birth, 2mos and 6 mos.  Does this mean he has HepB?
WAT DOES IT MEAN?

hbsAG +
Anti HBs +

Please ans?
your son's hbsag negative result..means no hep b virus..
HELLO.

I have made the test of hepatitis B, and im Reactive 608.84 S/CO.
i know that at least i hve a year that im reactive because one year ago i make the test but i had no answer because of wrong phone call.
i need to know if is serious my situation or not.

thank you in advance.
hello everybody.

i have donated blood 2 month ago and i result positive to hepatitis B.the result was HBsAg Q2 608.84 S/co. i want to know if i have to warry. i have hepatitis B at least from one year ago, because i have made another donation but they make an error with the phone number and i have learn thi thing only 1 month ago.

thank you in advance
I was recently stuck with a dirty needle and I was tested for Hepatitis and HIV...the HIV test was negative and the HEP C was negative and the HEP B Surface AG was non reactive but the HEP B Surface AB, QL was reactive. what does this mean????
It means you have immunity against hbv.
I donated blood twice and my HBC IGG was positive but my hbs antibody said to be "immuned" and hbs ag was negative. what does this HBC igg positive means? does it mean that I am a hepa b carrier or what? coz im going crazy bout this. the blood bank doesn't want to accept my blood anymore coz of this positive HBC igg

thanks,
ken
Hbc igg positive means that you were exposed to hbv. To make sure that you have recovered you must test hbsab quantitive and hbv dna.
you mean that I was just exposed but not infected? im pretty much worried about this.
I mean that you were infected for sure.
but why is it that my hbsag is negative?
It is neg because you either recovered or on the mend or have occult hbv (unlikely event)

When you have recovered you should develop untibodies for HbsAg in good quantity.
But even then you may have cccDNA somewhere that may produce virus in small quantities, to clear cccDNA need a lt of time.
am I contagious? I mean will I be able to transfer the virus to others?
will there still be a possibility that my hbc igg will be negative?
To check if you are contagious you must test test hbv dna, preferably ultra-sensitive test.

Unless hbc igg test was false positive, it will be always positive.
hello all, I recently test for Hept B. My test result come out Surface Antigen +, Core IgG & IgM +, hept C AB --, and Surface AB--. What does this mean to me?
It means that you have acute hbv infection that usually resolves by itself in 6 to 9 months. Keep your immune system healthy and you are contagious so stay away especially from children and pregnants.
Hello ALL

I recently donated blood and blood report shows I am reactive For Anti-HBV CORE ANTIBODY(TOTAL)

Then i Consulted my Doctor and he suggest me some blood test. Report for my blood test is as below:-

1.HEPATITIS B CORE ANTIBODY(Anti-HBc), Total =====> Reactive(9.31)
2. HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGEN;HBsAg =====> Non Reactive(0.03)
3. LIVER PANEL SCREEN

TEST NAME                          RESULTS
AST(SGOT)                            36.00
ALT(SGPT)                            70.00
Alkaline Phosphatase(ALP)            72.00
Bilirubin Total                              0.60
Bilirubin Direct                              0.10
Bilirubin Indirect                              0.50
Total Protein                              7.50
Albumin                                      5.00
A:G Ratio                                      2.00

Pls suggest on my condition is my self is Hepatitis B infected, Can i still transmit the infection to my partner sexually
Also referring liver test my ALT(SGPT) is above threshold kindly suggest on the same also and action/Suggestion/Precaution needed for future
Your tests show that you had hbv infection in the past. But to tell if you have completely recovered you need to test hbsab quantitative.

Your alt is high, it is either the remains of hbv or result of obesity or alcohol.
Thanks Rome for your reply

I will get hbsab tested in asap and will share the results

Thanks again for support
Check your previous test thoroughly  for hbsab, usually it is done in the hbv package. It can be called differently like anti-hbs, hbs antibodies, australian antigen antibodies...
Hi Rome

Hope you will be doing fine

I got my Blood tested again for Hepatitis B and results are as below

1.Hepatitis B core Antibody(Anti HBc), IgM,Serum(CMIA) ===> 0.10(  38.20( 0.00( 0.06(  2.01( 0.01(<0.05)/Non reactive

Pls comment either i am still infected or cleared infection and is any chance that i will transmit this to other sexual

Should i got my wife vaccinated?

Thanks in advance

Regards
vivek
HI
Pls ignore previous Post

1.Hepatitis B core Antibody(Anti HBc), IgM,Serum(CMIA) ===> 0.10(38.20( 0.00(<0.05)/Non rective

Pls Suggest either i am still infected or cleared infection and is any chance that i will transmit this to other sexual or by any other mean
Should i need to get tested again after some time for the same.

Also I got my wife tested for above mention test and all 3 results are Non reactive. Should i got her vaccinated for immunity

Thanks in advance
You need hbsab quantity test for you and your wife, to answer your question.
Please help me understand this result....hep, surface antigen.positive
Surface antibody...negative
Envelope antigen.negative
Envelope antibody.positive
Core antibody positive..

Please what does this mean
This is hbeag neg chronic hbv.  Retest in a few months to be 100% sure.
please i want to know how dangerous this can be and whether it is infectious.  this was the first results. Hepatitis Be Antigen----- Positive
                                                      Hepatitis Be Antibody---- Negative
                                                      Hepatitis B core IgG------positive
                                                      hepatitis B core Igm------ Negative

the results after he took some drugs ( heptovit and one other drug ) for six months.                                     HBsAg--------- positive
HBsAb--------- negative
HBeAg--------- negative
HBeAb--------- negative
HBcAb---------- positive
can he infect someone when he have unprotected sex ?
is he at a high risk ?
what should he do next ? should he continue taking the drugs for another six months ?
hep.b surface Ag ngative        0.00-1.00

hep.b core Ab total positive    0.000-0.999

hep.B surface Ab positive        0.00-10.00

hepatitis c Ab negative          0.00-1.00
what does it mean please help me
hello i tested  positive  for Hepatitis B . am am now taking entiver barculda.and am planing to get married am my wife does not have thise virus if i get her vaccinated can she be completely be protected from hapstities b?from me transmitting it to her during sex inter course ?
If she makes the antibodies, yes, she will be safe