Hepatitis B Community
Hepatitis B Test

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis B Test

I had Hep B surface antigen test twice two years after possible exposure. Both times negative. I thought this was it I am negative but now I see that this test is accurate only for window period less than 3 months. Can you confirm which test to give to exclude the possibility and have conclusive result.

Thanks.
The test for hepatitis B infection is to test for the presence of Hep B surface antigen in the serum. It may not appear immediately after an infection, but it should appear several weeks afterward. It disappears after 6-12 months in case of acute Hepatitis B, but will persist after 6-12 months in case of chronic Hepatitis B.
As my test as after 2 years of last possible exposure, that means I don't have chronic, no matter I was exposed or not at that stage. RIght?
Yes.