Hepatitis B Community
Hepatitis B curable or not

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis B curable or not

Dear Sir,

I m 39yrs old, weight - 62k height- 5.5inch . I have Hep B virus. Recently I checked below
HBV DNA - Positive
HBV DNA copies / ml -  49450 ( pls. advise the normal range)
S. ALT (SCPT) - 27.0 U/L  ( Nor. Range- upto42 )
S. Creatinine - 90.0 micron mol/.L ( Nor. Range- 60 ~130 )
AFP (Alpha-Feto-Protein) -2.81ng/ml
HBeAg - Negative

I dont feel any other problem right now and just start the treatment here in Bangladesh. We can not
discuss with doctor more as they are very busy and spend few minutes for a patient.
Here one physician advised to take the medicine  --  Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate 300mg -- One/daily.

Doctor advise to take long time only.

Is HEP B curable or what is the function of this medicine ?
Is there any side affect ? Pls. advise.

Pls. advise
In this moment HBV is not curable is only manageable.

Tenofovir is one of the best antivirals existing on the market, but as you doctor say if you start a treatment will be a long one (possible life time treatment).

before take any decision, try to have a fibroscan or a biopsy to find out the liver condition and also try to have hbsag quantitative (depedn on this maybe you have a chance to add interferon and hope for a seroconversion).

what treatment have you now ?
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
Yet now , I did not have any treatment or medicine.

What i understand from you,  Once Tenofovir is started it can not be stopped.  I think its a problem.

Next would you pls advise a little bit more about your comments added here  below ( I am no knowledge in this line) ---

(depedn on this maybe you have a chance to add interferon and hope for a seroconversion).

What is seroconversion ? Pls. advise.

Thank u once again.

it can be stopped safely but you need at least 1 year of interferon add-on combo and slowly discontinue tnf.nobody say this becausse drug makers like patients to stay on these antivirals for life...of course

hbsag in iu/ml is the only test to predict hbv clearance on interferon+tnf, values lower than 1000-1500iu/ml have hiest clearance rates

I am going to marry. I am a carrier HBV. Will this make any affect to the sexual contact to spouse.
Is there any suggestion ? Some one Pls advice
Just make sure your future wife is vaccinated against Hepatitis B. Until she gets the vaccine use condoms.
Sorry to say Late thanks as I was out of station .  

Is it need to complete full dosage. Or can I go direct sex contact after ONE or TWO dosages of vaccine.  So far I know it takes total 6 months to complete the course. I expect a baby as early as possible .
Pretty sure it's adviseable to go all 3 doses and then verify immunity....

It would kind of suck to get her pregos right when she gets active hep....
Hello ,

I am hbv carrier My wife just completed 3 vaccine named Engerix B ( maker ; Glaxosmikthline ). Next and last dosage will be one year later ( 25/06/2014)

Can I go direct sex contact for a baby.
Should wait until she has antibody. Only a few more weeks and you can see it on the result.

Good Luck with everything. Also, are you on TDF and how's the treatment going?

Thanks for your advice. How many week it needs to wait generally ?
and then for result is it need to do a check up. Normally she is not carrier of HBV.

Regarding me , Now there is going no treatment . My last check up was on Nov.22,2011.

Thank you once again for your concern.