Hepatitis B Community
Hepatitis B vaccinations

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis B vaccinations

So recently i made a mistake and had a sexual risk exposure with a 29 year old female. I have been checked for everything except hepatitis b and everything has been coming up fine. I went to the doctor to ask him if I could have a hep b titter test and he told me not to worry about hep b because i am a u.s. citizen and I went to school here therefore i would have been vaccinated. I told him i was born in 1986 and he said yeah don't worry about hep b. Could anybody here give me a second opinion, could I trust what that dr. advised, or should I look for another  dr. that will test me?
your vaccination was not successful, avail new vaccine schedule 0,1,6 month.

still i would suggest go for HBsAb again for confirmation, in case it is -ve go for vaccination again as mentioned above.
Can anybody help me please. I am now scared that i might have been infected as a child i could think of a few risk exposures. My hepatitis b sAB came back non reactive, unfortunately it was the only test done by the dr. I should not have gone to him in the first place he is very rude i can not go back to him. I went for a hep b ag test to another location. But now I think I should have gone with anti hbc test. If the ag test comes back negative does that mean i don't have a chronic hep b, or do I need to get the anti hbc test?
How do I know I don't have chronic hepatitis b?
If your hbsag comes neg means you do not have hbv.
well Rome is correct indeed go for HBsAb titre also if you find below 10mIU/ml go for booster dose of Hep B vaccine.

rt !
Thanks for your replies.
I'm pretty sure I've been vaccinated.
I'm 26 years old and live in california.
I'm waiting on my surface antigen results.
Why would my surface antibody test result come back negative?

Thanks for your reply.
I'm waiting for my hbasg test through an online testing company. Not sure if i could trust that company though.
I set up a clinic appointment wich I trust, but it suck that I have to wait until Friday to get tested by the clinic, I wish it would be sooner.
I'm going to have them redo the whole panel, hbsab, hbcab, hbasg.If everything goes good for me i will probably get vaccinated. I'm not sure what my results are going to be but it worries me. I feel like there is a possibility that I'm chronically infected before the age of five when I was supposedly vaccinated.

check for better labs, hbsag and hbsab are stupid and extremely cheap tests ready same day
all automated in good labs, humans even not needed to do the test
Thanks for your reply.
I'm pretty sure i was vaccinated when I was five years old not earlier.
My hbsab came back negative.
Is hbsag test enough or should I also get hbcab test?
Ok.
I am really thankful for your support its priceless.
I got my hbsag results today.
So my status is hbsab and hbsag both negative.
I keep asking myself what are the possibility of occult hbv.
I guess only time will tell.
Get vaccina shot and test hbsab afterwards, if antibodies do not come up, then you may have ocult hbv. You may have lost antibodies, vaccination lasts 10 to 15 years, then you need to do it again.
Thanks.
Your reply means a lot to me.
I will try to update when the time comes.

It is extremely unlikely that you have chronic (occult) hbv now if you were vaccinated at birth. it is because you can only get chronic in early childhood and you were protected by the vaccine then.  95 % of Adults only get acute hbv that mainly resolves itself asymptomaticly  within 6 months.
Thanks for your reply.
I was not vaccinated at birth.
Maybe I was vaccinated when I was five, maybe not, not sure.
Maybe I was infected when I was a child, not sure.
My status hbsab and hbsag both negative.
I will go test for hbcab.
If hbcab is positive maybe occult hbv I would think.
my boyfriend has hepatits b virus but i was vaccinated and completed the 3 shots and before i was given that i already had my titer test and the result was negative then last june 2011 i checked my antibodies and the result was 10U /mL then I get my booster dose last july 2011 then after that I didnt checked my antibidies again then by the month of august 2011 up to now i have unprotected sex with my boyfriend.. my question is since i completed the 3 shots and had my booster shot am I protected from the virus even my partner is infected.
HbcAb will only show if you ever had hbv infection, it is useless for you.
You should get vaccine and test HbsAb after a while.
I think you are ok, because even with 10ui you are protected. Anyway hbv is not a big problem for healthy adults, even if you get infected.
sir can you help me about my question..thank you
sir im worried coz i am a newly passed nurse and before i will be accepted as a volunteer nurse there will be blood exam
As i said the risk is very low, but if you want to be sure test HbsAg quality, it is cheap test available everywhere takes one day.
Like Rome said if you were not protected by the vaccine, and you were infected, it would be very unlikely that you would develop a serious illness from hbv because hbv gets cleared almost always by anybody 6 years and older. Your re-test titer shows >10U/ml so most likely u did not get infected.
Get tested before u get accepted as a volunteer nurse for peace of mind.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think I want to get vaccinated.
It might be useless as an adult.
I just want to know if I'm at risk for illness since childhood.
I want to be monitored if needed.
Sorry if i sound repetitive.
If hbcab comes back negative i will feel no need to be monitored for hbv.
No problem.
The vaccination is never useless. It is true that 90% of adults do not get chronic, but you never know especially if you are a subject to accidental exposures as you described above. First, if you get infection it may happen in the most inconvenient time and there is no guaranty that there is no symptoms and acute lasts 6 months. Second, if you get hbv with co-infection or with chemo it will be a problem.
Vaccine is safe and well tolerated, I would go for it and forget about hbv for another 15 years.
Thanks for your reply.
That is very good information.
I have an appointment at the clinic on Friday.
I will talk to the doctor there about vaccination.
I will update when the time comes.