Hepatitis B Community
Hepatitis B

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis B

Hello Doctor,

I read your reply to the 30 yr old Chinese guy from England and thought that you might be the right person to clear my query.

My Husband was down with fever that lasted longer than a normal one. When he went for a complete body check up at Ranbaxy in Bombay, India. They called him for a check-up again and said that he has tested POSITIVE for HEPATITIS Be SURFACE Antigen. The remark on 27th October 2008 was as follows:

1. Low HDL Cholesterol (29)
2. Low Calcium (8.4)
HBsAg - Reactive
Patient value raised - 165.83

The second test at Ranbaxy in Oct 2008 showed the following:

Under "Liver Function Profile"
I am noting down only the values that are out of range....
Total Protein - H 8.4  g/dL
Alanine Aminotransferase (SGPT) - H 66   U/L
Lactate Dehydrogenase - H 192  U/L

And this is all that is there under "HEP B EVALUATION"....
Hepatitis Be Antibodies - Reactive 0.037
Hepatitis Be Antigen - Non Reactive 0.20
HBV VIRAL LOAD BY TAQ MAN - 49100000 IU/ML

Then onwards he has been on Liv 52 tablets...for the protection of his Liver suggested by a Doctor. That doctor asked him not to worry about it....but I guess that is not a very satisfactory explanation.

On 6th Dec 2008 his result was positive for Australia Antigen Elisa in a simple blood test.

Till date he hasn't undergone any treatment. He is very healthy and there are no symptoms. Can you please help me know the status of his health and what should be done at this point?

It would be very kind of you to help me out in this.

Thank you.

Your hunsband's status:  HBsAg(+) HBeAg (-) HBeAB(+) ALT 66 DNA 49100000, by 2007 guideline fits the status for treatment.  Please consult his doctor.
cajim is correct.  Additionally, it should be noted that there are no doctors currently posting on this forum.  
"Till date he hasn't undergone any treatment. He is very healthy and there are no symptoms. Can you please help me know the status of his health and what should be done at this point?"

For HBeAg- with high DNA and elevated ALT, your husband may need treatment for life.  The liver is a strong organ, the virus does damage slowly.  That's why your husband appears very healthy (and he may well be that at this point) and without symptoms.  But his liver is being attacked by the HepB virus.  Without treatment to control disease progression, fibrosis, then cirrhosis of the liver may occur soon rather than later.  Your husband should press his doctor to start treatment.  Good luck.  And please remember, as it was pointed out by others, there are no doctors here.  So be sure to talk to your own doctors.