Hepatitis B Community
Hepatits B question / possible exposure
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hepatits B question / possible exposure



About 4 wks ago I had intercourse and oral sex with a stripper. Throughout the entire time there was always protection. However, when she was putting the condom on she did so with her mouth (did not notice if her lips ever touch anything but the condom) and also when she took it off she wiped me with a baby wipe. If the baby wipe touched or was used on her first would this be enough to infect me. Since I have felt pain all over my abdomen. I am afraid I have contracted hep b. Also I keep on reading that 90% clear the virus on their own but have yet to find anyone on the forum that states they had. Please help don't know if I am infected. By the way I was tested about 3 wks and 2 days after the exposure.
Related Discussions
17 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
sorry but these questions are useless there is a vaccine for hbv just do it, making tests is not useful because hbv can take 2 weeks to 6 motnhs to develop and entering the blood flow is not equal to having infetion, infection starts when virus reaches the liver

just make immune globulins and vaccine as said many times in the board even today

yet to find anyone on the forum that states they had.
those with acute hbv don t even reach this forum, most of us is infected at birth and just found it during life while making other blood tests
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
But If I became infected already then I can no longer get the vaccine correct. So, what your saying is that I need to wait to find out if I have an infection? Confuse?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
saying is that I need to wait to find out if I have an infection? Confuse?

no just get vaccine anyway, you will become infected when hbsag appears and this can take 2 weeks or 6 months, vaccine will work if hbsag is produced,

so it makes sense to make vaccine anyway, if you have no hbsag you will be protected and no infection will occur even if the virus is in your body
if you make vaccine and hbsag is already positive it will make no difference you will have full acute hbv and will clear it in about 6 months, the vaccine is just synthetic hbsag like the one in the virus the difference is the vaccine only has hbsag not the virus.immune globulin is hbsab the antibody vaccine will produce to delay the start of infection

hbv is very slow acute hbv takes 3weeks-3months to start and 6-12 months to clear, there is plently of time for vaccine and immune globulins to work
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
One more question stefano. If the virus is not clear within the first six month wouldn't that make it chronic after six months?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
one thing must be clear hbv is not like hiv which finds cells to infect as soon as it enters the body, hbv needs to reach the liver and multiply in billions, if that doesn t happen there is no infection yet

so if hbsag test is negative for six months there is no infection started yet (rare so long but it happened to a member to have acute hbv at 5 months from exposure because nobody told her about vaccine)
if infection starts at the 6month (because you ddn t take vaccine and immune globulins) then you have to check from that moment to see if you clear or get cronic (chronic)
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I am sorry I keep bothering you but can you share with me how you know the information you do. Is it from battling the infection or are you a health care provider. The reason I am asking is because I keep on getting different information from different forums. I just want to know anything that will help my situation. Thanks again for all your help. This is what a hematologist stated when you said that I could still get vaccinated. here are her comments:

Reply: Can I still get vaccinated
No.
If a person has been exposed to hepatitis B at some time in the past, the vaccination will not afford them any benefit. Therefore, there is no reason for a person who is HBcAb or HBsAb positive to receive the hepatitis B vaccination, although it will not cause them any harmful effects if received. The hepatitis B vaccine will not protect a person against hepatitis A or C, and it will not protect a person against any form of hepatitis or liver disease other than hepatitis B.


Hepatitis B immune globulin provides immediate, but temporary protection, to people who have been exposed to someone with infectious hepatitis B. Therefore, within two weeks of contact, HBIG should be administered to any person who has had exposure to hepatitis B-infected blood or who has had close or intimate contact with someone with infectious hepatitis B.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
study hbv from many years for me and my family members, of course we got infected from birth

in contact and cure by one of the most advanced hbv researchers in the world

hematologist
most liver specialist are not updated on hbv, an hematologist is useless for hbv, in any case you are wasting your time since when you were exposed, how come you don t know there is a vaccine

afford them any benefit. Therefore, there is no reason for a person who is HBcAb or HBsAb positive
if you don t understand just get a good liver specialist to manage your situation you are wasting your time making questions, you need to act and come back here only when you get cronic (chronic) hbv.
you are both HBcAb or HBsAb negative since you said hbsag still negative so vaccine might make no good but no harm for sure, you have nothing to lose

protect a person against hepatitis A or C,
of course it is an hbv vaccine why you asking and why do you want an hav vaccine too?hav is a benign illness, hcv has no vaccine (probably will never have) and no lasting immunity if you luckily recover from it you can get infected again

you can find more info here but again you are wasting your time online just get a good liver specialist and vaccine or wait if acute hbv come and clear, there are no drugs that work available in your case or other choices, vaccine vs acute hbv.
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153

Blank
Avatar_m_tn
hematologist just gave you a very general and correct info, but it doesn t exactly apply to your case and tells you it won t make any damage, since we don t know when hbsag will get positive and if it will ever get positive plus 99% you haven t got any transmission of hbv, hcv (hav doesn t matter it is never cronic (chronic)):

so since you are hbsag negative you can

wait 6 months and after this time see if hbsag has got positive, testing before is useless since there are no drugs or anything you can do to avoid this.

make vaccine so if you are lucky you will make hbsab in 4weeks and if hbsag will ever try to become positive it won t since the antibody is present

if you were not infect you just got hbv vaccine and will be protected for the future

as to hcv don t even bother it just get transmitted by blood
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Thanks stefano. I will get the vaccine ASAP.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I am going to pickup my results tomorrow and I will also ask the doctor whether I have been fully vaccinated for hep b since I found a history of my medical that states I received the first dose in 10/2001 but it doesn't say whether I received the other two doses. When I look at my results what should I look for to see if is negative? What should I look for to see if I got the vaccine? If I do have antibodies for the virus should I get boosters? What should I request for?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
results what should I look for to see if is negative?
hbsag negative (no hbv) and hbsab>10miu/ml or any number except zero (vaccine protection)

If I do have antibodies for the virus should I get boosters?
if lower than 10 yes

Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Hi

Even I have anti HSb at 1.5 miu/ml. Does that mean I might have some protection?  I have though taken HBIG and one more vaccine for extra care.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Even I have anti HSb at 1.5 miu/ml. Does that mean I might have some protection?
yes you do also use the antioxidants i told you the studies were made for vaccine response to hbv and others (it was vit D, acetyl cysteine and co q10)

Blank
Avatar_n_tn
My results came back and
Hep A AB, IgM Negative
HBsAg Screen Negative
Hep B Core AB, IgM Negative
Hep C Virus Ab <0.1 Negative if less than 0.8.

This test however was taken only 3 wks 2 days after exposure. How optimistic should I be that I used a condom and test results were negative not just for hep A, B, C but for everything else too, Chlamydia Gonorrhea, HSV1 and HSV2. However, I have a feeling that my HSV1 is a false negative b/c I had breakouts in the past and I tested positive in 2008. I just don't explain this .

HSV1 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 Negative if less than <0.91.
???????????

But my questions is regarding hep b. I found a history chart that says I received only the first vaccination in 2001 but not sure whether I received the other two.
would they be a problem or side effects if I had already received the full dosage of the vaccination and I ask my doctor to vaccinate me again. I just don't understand why my doctor didn't request my HBSab. So now in order to find out if I do have anti-bodies I need to waste more time which I don't want to. I just want to give myself the best chance of fighting this disease if I am infected. I understand that if I am infected the vaccine would not help but according to you sometimes the infection moves slow. Plus the CDC states that any individual that is expose should within the 24 hours period receive the vaccination if they are not vaccinate and the immune globulin if they have already been vaccinated. Should I just ask my doctor to vaccinate me again since we are not sure if I am vaccinate plus even if I am is there a risk for side effects to a second round of the vaccine? What is you opinion stefano ? My next appointment is for Saturday 1/22 and after that I would be out of the country on business for a month. It has been already 4 wks and 4 days since the exposure. Am I running out of time stefano. My doctor wont see anyone unless you have an appointment and I have to wait. All the information you provide came after my first doctors appointment. I know you already told me to get vaccine and HBIG but I have to wait for my doctor to write the prescription here in america. Don't know what else to do? Please respond As soon as you can stefano, I am running out of time and options if I am going to stop this infection before it occurs.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Stefano also you told nimrod to use antioxidants should I buy vit D, acetyl cysteine and co q10. Is this what I should ask my pharmacy for? Or is it over the counter?
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
What dosage should I get for acetyl cysteine and coq10?
Blank
1575090_tn?1296531294
gud day.., my first hbsag test was 3.812 and its reactive.. after 3 months it was 2.051 and my cut off value is .600,.. is it possible that my current test will became lower than the cut off.. or is it possible that from reactive will it become non reactive? please help me.., i cant take a job if i my hbsag test is still reactive.., thank you,..
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis B Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Hepatitis Answerers
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
stef2011
Italy
9624973_tn?1413019730
Blank
melcul
United Kingdom
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
StephenCastlecrag
Australia
7951432_tn?1400922437
Blank
flyinsky
paris, France
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
SafiSifa
Izmir, Turkey
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
mer971