Hepatitis B Community
High Level of AST & ALT

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

High Level of AST & ALT

I'm 29 years Male with chronic Hep B. My HBV DNA levels 2 years back was around 157,000 IU/ML and ALT, AST where under normal limits. Doctor suggested to start the medication with 0.5 mg of entacavir as the DNA levels werr high . Since then my DNA level has reduced to  less than 100 IU/ML for the past 2 years. Also my ALT/AST levels were normal for the same period, but when i got these checked again last month they were high AST -44 U/L ALT -111 U/L. My doctor said that Hep B is not the cause for these high levels of ALT/AST. so he suggested few more tests Lipid profile, ANA-IF,Ferritin and ceruloplasmin. In Lipid profile only HDL cholesterol was low 23 (less< 40) and CHOL/HDL Ratio was high 4.8, ANA was negative, Ferritin was 178.2 ng/mL (range 22 - 322 ng/mL) was normal, ceruloplasmin was normal 0.23 g/L (Rangel 0.2-0.6 g/L).

I don't understand what is the cause for my ALT, AST to be high. Please help.

Raj
The reason for elevated alt could be fatty liver. Are normal bmi? No obesity? No alcohol abuse, junk food, chemical drinks?
The reason for elevated alt could be fatty liver. Are you of normal bmi? No obesity? No alcohol abuse, junk food, chemical drinks?
I'm 5feet 5 inch in height with 68Kg Weight. Might be slightly obese but not a significant one i believe.

Let me know your thoughts
I used to drink occasionally before 2 years back, but have completely stopped it. I eat occasionally junk food. I did not understand what do you mean by chemical drinks. Please elaborate.

Right now i'm on 0.5mg Entacavir for the past 2 years. Is it possible that medication could have caused this.
It is better for the liver to get your bmi to 21-22.
I mean by Chemical drink all industry packed drinks like juices, colas etc. they all contain some chemicals and  sugar.

I think that high alt is due to hbv mainly. Alt flares can happen while on entacavir, retest in 3 months.
Alt = 100 is not too bad, it is probably your immune system killing infected cells. While your liver is ok by Fibroscan, alt = 100 is not a big problem.

if you test hbsag quantity in iu/ml (abbott architect) 2 times at about 1-2 months one from the other, you ll see if hbsag is going down...if so you are clearing infected cells and clearing hbv definitively (during this time hbvdna must be und)

if hbsag is stable than is toxic chemicals in food or as said being obese/fatty liver
Thanks Stef and Rome

I will get the Fibroscan and Hbsag quantative test done and see how it progresses.

Thanks a lot for your advice.