Hepatitis B Community
High Vitamin B12 Blood Level

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

High Vitamin B12 Blood Level

Now that the US has self directed labs I decided to order B12.  I've been taking b12 supplements daily, about 1200 mcg, but read it's water soluble and what is not needed gets excreted out, so no toxicity.  Well, my levels were 1,131 pg/mL and the ref ranges are 211-911, so mine is quite high.  

I've read and it says supplements should do nothing to change blood and different diseases (like leukemia's, cirrhosis, hcc, and others) are associated with high b12 results, and a high result is NOT normal, unlike low b12 which is quite common.

I have a call into my liver doctor but I'm guessing she will either think I'm just overreacting or will tell me to call my PCP?  Any help on this would be great.  Thanks!
it's very likely if you supplement anything you've get result above normal level.
So, you think if I stop supplements it will go back into normal range?  Do you know how long I should wait to re-test?  Thank you!
I would suggest to go for source of B12 than taking B12 Vitamins. I have started taking Soya milk every day as this is best available source of B12 for vegetarians.
You touched upon a fairly complicated subject.

The enormous complicated b12 molecule requires a series of transporters and binding molecules in its processing, storage,  dynamics  and excretion.

Because of this several conditions in particular liver diseases and neoplasms exist, in which one of these cofactors becomes abnormal, leading to an above normal b12 level.
it is important to understand that on all these situations it is not the b12 causing the problem, but the problem causes an abnormal b12 processing or storage or excretion metabolism.

By this concept a high b12 induced by high intake would not have pathological consequences. But since we cannot be sure if indeed a supranormal intake existed, a suspicion to an abnormal condition must be kept in mind.

Your value was not excessively high and your liver might be marginally compromised, so I would assume that no specialist would go for tumor hunting, but take this as the explanation.

Keep also in mind that the high blood value is often associated with a b12 deficiency in the target tissues, due to the processing problems mentioned.

Letting go of the supplementation will likely lower your b12 blood levels back into the normal range, confirming that there is no serious underlying pathology.
Studyforhope..how long should I wait to retest?  Thank you!

Thank you all!
I think 3 month is reasonable.