Just wondering what are the factors why some people are not able to clear Hep B. I keep reading how 90 to 95 percent of infected adults will clear the virus. What happens with the 5 to 10 percent that they become chronic. I'm just asking because I have been just diagnosed in the acute phase and scared.
For children, for some reason the immune system tends to ignore the virus.
For adults, the core class I epitope of the virus is picked up by the person's immune system and 95% of which will be able to defeat the virus. For the other 5%, the virus core class I epitope is probably able to immune escape (mutate) and render our immune response pretty much useless. Thus the virus wins and turns into a chronic infection.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.