Hepatitis B Community
How contagious is Hep B?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

How contagious is Hep B?

We are considering hiring a nanny for our infant daughter (who have received 1 out of the 3 hep b vaccines) and the nanny is hep B positive.  How contagious is hep B from this type of contact?  I have read so much conflicting info on the web.  MANY THANKS!!!
Depend on which of the four stages of chronic Hep B she is in or if she is in acute stage.  Most Hep B carriers are not contageous at all.  Only in one stage and in acute stage do you need to worry about being contageous and mostly by blood.
Thank you!  How can I tell if she is acute or not?  I have her test results.  Level around 10,000.
More on the test results:
HBeAB is positive
HBeAG is negative
and like I said the level was around 10,000

Many thanks to anyone with help!!!
Level around 10,000=DNA?
10,000 copies or IU?

e-antigen negativity is usually one sign of not being very infectious.

Most people suffering acutely are pretty sick.  I'm guessing she is chronic.  Did she say how long she's been positive?

I've had Hep B my whole life and have cared for many children including my own 3.  To the best of my knowledge, none of them have been infected.  In casual contact its not highly infectious especially since your daughter has been vaccinated (even one shot is affording her some, though not 100% protection).

But I see your dilemma.  Out of curiosity, did she reveal her status to you?
It says "10,000HI"  - not sure what that means.

She is from China so was probably infected at birth.  She revealed but said, "my doctor said its fine" (I don't know her dr) so we asked for the test.  She doesn't seem sick.  Thank you so much for your assistance!!!  (as you can probably tell, we are looking at 2 different Chinese nannies - 1 seems to be immune and the other seems to just have it .... I was a total hep b novice until this!  Really appreciate your insight.)
Still not sure what "10,000HI" means.  If necessary, the nanny can have a blood test to see her Hep B status.  Most HBV carriers are not contagious in daily contact.  Just be careful with blood.

Best.