Hepatitis B Community
How does Hep B vaccine work?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

How does Hep B vaccine work?

I received the 3 step Hep B vaccination when I was 12-13 years old. I am now 29. I plan on getting a full STD test in the very near future. I'm still confused about how the vaccine actually works...

If I were ever exposed or infected to Hepatitis B, does the vaccine just work as an antibody automatically instead of waiting for my body to produce the antibodies? If I were exposed, would I still acquire the virus and would it still show up in my system and on the test? Would the antibodies from the vaccine show up on the test? I've been doing research, but I'm still kind of confused on how the vaccine actually does its job. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There is no antibodyies in the vaccine, just antigens. This is your body that should develop antibodies in responce to vaccine. Before the vaccination you shiould check hbsag and hbsab quantity. The former is to check if you have the virus aiready - no need to get vaccinated, the latter is to check if you still  have enough immunity from the previous vaccination.

Thanks for the response, but some of that went over my head, lol. I think I get what you're saying. I get that you were saying the vaccine doesn't contain antibodies, and I'm aware that the body produces them from either the vaccine or the virus itself. I was 12-13 when I got the vaccine, so I'm not sure of the hbsag and hbsab quantities at that time in my life, but it's safe to say I didn't have Hep B when I was 12-13..

Ok so let's try again.. Hypothetically, say I had sex with someone who had Hepatitis B and I still had immunity from the vaccine.. what happens then? Does the vaccine make me immune from the virus from even entering my system or would I still have an acute infection that would be fought off by the vaccine? Would my STD test tell me that I once had an encounter with Hepatitis B? Even with the vaccine working, do I still acquire an acute Hep B infection? Does anyone get what I'm trying to ask? Thanks again!

If you had immunity at the tme of hbv exposure the hbs antibodies would destroy the virus in the blood within days while it takes at least a month to develop antibodies for hbc, so the virus will not leave any trace in your body it is not like you would have a mini accute infection.
Ok, thanks. That answered my question. I appreciate it. Thanks again!
is it possible to get this  vrus even aftar vaccne and with high anti bdy level.
Simple answer is NO.
one doct some says some mutation can make it even aftr vacin and anti bdy.