Hepatitis B Community
How to deal with family and friends

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

How to deal with family and friends

Hi All,

This is the first time I have posted anything. About a year ago, I have been told that I am Hep B postive when I did my first STD test. It was very shocking and I feel so unsecure to tell any one about it, not even my family ( my dad and brothers) and my friends. So far it is only me who knows about it and I am afraid I will be rejected to tell anyone. . I am a 29 years old guy living with my brother in Canada. I often go visit my parents and stay with them for weekends. I really dont want to affect them in any way or tell them my situation. I guess my problem for now is, I am not comfortable telling or discussing it with any one. I also don't want to affect anyone!

I have a brief understanding of Hep B but I just wanted to get other people feedback and help me answer the following questions.

1) How can I protect my parents and friends with out telling them that I am Hep B posetive? What is the risk in sharing household material ( plate, glass, cups, washroom....)?
2) If I have a protected sex am I putting the other person at Risk? What is the legal obligation in Canada?
3) Can I pass the virus with kissing and making out only?
4 How does this affect my co-workers? I work in an office and some time out in the field to supervise?
5 What other caution should I take when socializing?

I greatly appreciate all your helps in this matter.

Thanks.

wanluv
You can not pass HEp b thru touch. It's pass in the blood and sexually. I have hep b and got it when I was born,
Thanks Babilu. So do you think, I can just keep with my self and just be cautious with the things I do around other people so they can stay safe? when do u know the best time to tell the girl/guy you are dating that you are HEp B positive? What kinda of precautions do you take when dinnings out and with friends?

--Depends on your status, your HBeAg, HBeAB, HBcAB, ALT, AST, HBVDNA, your symptoms, etc.

--Depends on the other's status.

--Not impossible, but low probability usually.

--Same as 1.

--Your blood and cuts.
Thanks Cajim. I will definitely get more testing done and will post the result hopefully within the next week or two and will go from there.
Hi wanluv,

I think it is important that you see if anyone else in the family has the virus HBV. You could be saving their lives if they indeed have it and don't know it. Are you sure on how you got infected? Maybe you got it from your parents and they are carriers as well. Maybe you brother has it too and does not know. These are some things to consider that sharing this information may actually help them as well.

When found out about HBV i had everyone in my family tested for all Hepatitis A, B, & C. Thank God, everyone (parents, siblings and children) has antibodies from natural infection / vaccines.
Agree with Saramo.
Thanks guys. I am yet to give the blood test and like I said before I will post the result here and hopefully it will make it easier to answer those questions