Hepatitis B Community
Husband has Hep B, I don't - how is it possible?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hi, we just found out that my husband is Hep B +
We have been together for 6 years and have 3 year old and 10 months old babies.
I have been tested in both pregnancies and had no virus.
Also we practice natural family planning, so we have unprotected intercourse most of the time.
I don't have any reasons to suspect him in infidelity!
Is it possible for him to be a carrier and for me not to get a virus? What are the chances that his infection is recent?
Is there any chance that the kids can be infected, even though I was tested negative?
We have an appointment with a specialist soon, but would love to hear any responses that could help us understand this better! Thanks in advance!

Even though Hepatitis B can be transmitted through sex, there are anecdotal evidence that many long-time married couples with only one partner tests positive for Hepatitis B. It could be that the other partner was infected but had a full recovery. It could also be due to the fact that the infected partner has a very low viral load and therefore is not that infectious. It could also be due to the fact that there is no blood to blood contact and that the internal lining provide a barrier(?).
I think everyone should be vaccinated, especially those in close contact with an infected person. It gives you peace of mind, not just at home but everywhere.  
There are two types of hbv chronic and acute. Chronic you get in early childhood. All adults (95%) get acute infection that self resolves in 6 month.
To check if it is acute you should test antihbc igM.
The most important for you now is to check your children for hbv and get them vaccinated.