Hepatitis B Community
INSURANCE!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

INSURANCE!

My brother and I contracted hepatiis B from our mother at birth, but didn't find out until 1995. My brother is chronic, but I'm a low carrier. From what he said so far, because of his hepatitis he is uninsurable on his own and can only receive insurance by company plans or associations. From his searching though, he said that even I am uninsurable, even though I'm a carrier and rarely ever have to see a doctor about hepatitis. Is that something anyone else has run into? I'm having to juggle through insurance plans with different jobs, because it seems like private insurance is untouchable for me. Any help or advice would help.
Bryon
There is no such thing as an inactive carrier, Bryon.  If you test positive for the surface antigen, which I assume you do, then you are also chronic and need to be under a doctor's care.  Now, your case could continue as it is for the rest of your normal length life but it can also change and require treatment.  The problem is that the changes occur quietly and often without symptoms until your liver is pretty far gone.  If your doctor has told you otherwise, find a doctor more up-to-date on HBV.  This notion of an "inactive carrier" is very archaic and completely wrong.

I can't help on the insurance issue.

When I bought private insurance for myself and my family, I did not know I had HBV.  I thought people with more serious medical conditions can buy private insurances.  It is just a matter of premiums.
My brother has Hape b, He has an individule  plan with oxford.
It was not a big deal at all to get the insurance. If you can find out
if Oxford is offereing individual plan in your State I can give you more info.