Hepatitis B Community
Immunity?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Immunity?

My boyfriend has hep b- chronic. I was tested and told that i had the virus in the past but that my body fought it off and I am now immune.  I know this is going to sound like I am psycho but I wanted to know if I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend again  am I able to get the virus again? What does immune exactly mean?  My boyfriend is incarcerated at the present time and I know that when he gets out he is going to want to have sex and he is not going to want to use a condom, however I do not want to put myself in danger. All help is appreciated. Thanks.. JK
Make sure you are anti-HBs positive, which means you are immune and when the virus enters it will be killed by your body.
How To Prevent Hepatitis B

Getting the hepatitis B vaccine is the best method of hepatitis B prevention.
If you have already been exposed to the virus, a vaccination won’t prevent you from getting infected.

Since hepatitis B is transmitted through blood and body fluids, there are ways to help prevent hepatitis B infection. These include:
• Use condoms when you have sex, particularly if you have multiple sex partners

• Avoid sharing personal items with people. These include razors, toothbrushes, earrings and nail clippers
• Make sure that clean needles are used for tattoos and body piercings  

• Avoid illegal drugs. If you do continue to inject illegal drugs, never share needles or syringes  
• If you are a medical professional, follow good practices for using and disposing of needles

If you think that you have been exposed to the hepatitis B virus, it is important to visit your medical professional and get a hepatitis B blood test. This is the only way to know for sure if you have been infected with hepatitis B

Causes of Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is a serious global health problem and anyone can get it if they’re not vaccinated.

In fact, two billion people are infected with the hepatitis B virus.About 90 percent of them have the acute form of the disease from which they will fully recover.However, some 350 million are chronically infected with hepatitis B, which means they may have it for the rest of their lives.More than one million people worldwide die from the disease every year

The highest number of hepatitis B cases are found in people aged 25-44, followed by people in the 15-24 age group.

"however I do not want to put myself in danger" Well JK you have start to make decisions by coming on to the forum. Tell you boyfriend who is in prison to see a nurse and educate himself about his condition..  and if you both have children consider having them vaccinated at birth, this way you could avoid them having an untimely death in their early 20's.  If you are genuine then you are in the right place for support, if you are having fun at other peoples misery then I feel sorry for you .

Take care !

Thank you for responding to my question, however, I am a bit curious as to why you would write at the end of your response- "If you are having fun at other peoples misery then I feel sorry for you." I am a 44 year old woman who was just asking for some help, and I would never, EVER, do anything at anyone elses expense.   JK