Hepatitis B Community
Infectivity of breastmilk

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Infectivity of breastmilk

I read that blood, semen and saliva has the highest concentrations of the virus. And that they are the fluids that are most infectious.

Does anyone know about breastmilk?  I am breastfeeding (my baby and husband are both vaccinated) and my concern is my baby spits up at times some of the breastmilk.  My worry is that the spit up may land on a visitor that has not been vaccinated.

Thanks in advance.

hbv cannot infect anybody without entering the body by an open wound and blood or sex is the main way (not saliva).it is also harmless for adults since only 2.8% dont clear it.of course this does not mean adults must get infected

the only way to keep hbv alive is mother to baby infection by no vaccine because in babies chonicity is highest, dont remember number exactly but about 90-94%
Thanks Stef.  You are most helpful.

My baby spits up every now and then and I am afraid the breastmilk will land on a person's open wound that's carrying her.  I read that only blood, saliva and semen are the fluids that are at infectious levels - does that mean other body fluids (such as breastmilk and sweat) do not contain enough of the virus to cause an infection?  

My doctor says its very unlikely to infect someone outside of sexual contact and needles, so to not worry about getting people infected.  
For me my doc forbidden me at that time to breastmilk my 2children even they were vaccinated
it all depends on hbvdna quantity, if yours is very low/und there is no virus in fluids, only blood
I for me had no hbvdna very low viral load at that time and my doc interdit it other doctors permit it.but most of doctors see breastfeeding milk as a liquid contain virus!!!!!?and babies have no strong immunity yet to fight virus
breastfeeding is extremely important to start the baby immune system, if hbsab is developed it is most important to feed the baby from the mother
Yes I know but the problem is at first days when the milk is in high quantity we don't know if baby has already abhbs or not .
For me my two children didn't receive breastmilk and very sad for this but when I think about their future I would prefer this
Nowadays, mothers are encouraged to breastfeed even if you are hbv carrier. Tests have shown when your baby is vaccinated and given hbig, breastfeeding does not increase the chances of your baby getting the infection.  
Thank you.