Hepatitis B Community
Information would be most helpful

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Information would be most helpful

I am sorry I posted a reply to someone else's question instead of starting a new thread.  

To start again:

Workmates dad is coming to US as dependent from Nepal.

He has HEP B and has had it for many years.

He will not be considered a dependent on our current insurance so will try to apply for medicaid.

I am currently on HEP C meds so a little brain fogged right now however would like to steer him in the right direction on what meds are out there, what test need to be done first to determine where he is.  How long is treatment and what are the outcomes for folks treating HEP B.  His dad is 63 years old so not that old and from what I hear he is in great shape physically.

Sorry, this is really random but anything you can advise would be greating appreciated.

Thank you so much and again sorry I posted on someone else thread.

No worries. At a minimum he should start monitoring the disease especially at his age. Everyone's course is different with Hep B. Many live completely normal lives, and some die from complications.

There is no cure in the market today, but there are antiviral drugs that can really minimize the effect of the virus. Depending on a persons profile there may or may not be an end point to treatment.

Liver Cancer and Cirhosis are two of the main complications with the disease, and chances of developing that increase with age.

It's best for him to maintain a healthy lifestyle and start monitoring with the following tests. It's important to be informed and be under the care of a good specialist who is up to date.

Here are some of the main tests. To get a complete picture you need to routinely get the following tests listed below.

Every 3 to 6 months:
1. HBV DNA
2. ALT
3. Surface antigen quantity

Every 6 months:
1. Liver ultrasound
2. AFP
3. E antigen status (if its positive)
4. Fibroscan

Once every few years:
1. Genotype
2. Mutants

Every 3 to 6 months:
1. HBV DNA
2. ALT
3. Surface antigen quantity

Every 6 months:
1. Liver ultrasound
2. AFP
3. E antigen status (if its positive)
4. Fibroscan

Once every few years:
1. Genotype
2. Mutants
Thank you so much for this information.  I will pass it on to my co-worker.