Hepatitis B Community
Is high dose Vit D safe for HBV carrier?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hi everybody,

I'm an HBV carier, asian male, 38 years old. My liver function tests have been normal. During a recent blood test, my doctor found out I have Vit D  deficiency. He prescribed me to take Vit D with dosage of 50 K (yes, 50,000) IU twice a week for eight weeks. Does anybody here have experience with taking high dose of Vit D? Will Vit D at this high dosage level cause any harm to liver? Many thanks!

are you sure about the numbers?
Wikipedia (not always a reliable source) tells me that you are almost reaching maximum permissible safe dosage.
Perhaps you have already read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Overdose ?

Can you tell me why you need to injest this much Vitamin D?
Thanks, Sharp7!

My Vit D OH 25 level is only 17 during a recent blood test. My PCP said that the minimal normal range is >=32, so he wrote a prescription for me to take this high dose of Vit D.

Is Vit D deficiency possibly caused by liver problems? But I've been always had normal readings for liver function tests.

I searched my favourite Hepatology textbook (you can too: http://www.hepatologytextbook.com/) and found no relation between hepatitis and Vitamin D. That said, I am in no position to rule out anything -- I am not a doctor -- I'm just a guy with broadband :-).

I understood that your Vitamin D levels are low. I wanted to know why it is low. The reason I would want to know this if I were you: I would think of these supplements as a short term fix. People generally make enough Vit D on their own (unless they stay way up north or way down south). What made it go low in the first place, and what can you make sure that it doesn't happen again after you stop the supplements?
Hi, I saw all comments and query in this website, I like this for help increase knowledge for fight against hapatites b , I m facing  from hapatites and I want to help me anybody guide for treatment , plz tell me best treatment and test for me
I just read a recent article.  Chronic hepatitis will lower your Vitamin D level.  People with chronic hepatitis are poor converters of Vit D3.  Ideally, 10-15 minutes of sunshine at noon will provide adequate Vit D3.  However, according to the vitamine D council, most people will still need Vitamin D3 supplement.  Stephan is the expert on this matter in this forum.  You really need your level to be at least 50 ng/mL.  Mine is 20.9.  My doctor prescribed 50,000IU.  Notice that you needd Vitamine D3 and not D2.  D2 is for the kidney.  Recheck the level in 4-6 weeks.