Hepatitis B Community
Is it safe for someone who has HepB to consume foods that has wine/sake...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Is it safe for someone who has HepB to consume foods that has wine/sake (japanese rice wine)?

Hi all,

Happy New Year!  I'm so glad to have found this community.  :)  I'm currently taking care of someone who has HepB and currently taking Viread.  Occasionally, I add sake (japanese rice wine) into my cooking, so I was wondering --  can someone who has HepB eats foods that have wine or sake in them?  Thank you in advance for your reply.

J
general indication is to stop consuming any alcohol, but this is a subject of debate (most of the dr. say no alcohol).
the debate is for the people that are inactive carier (low replication / normal ALT ... ), but to me sure they keep the same indication, no alcohol.

in my opinion to have a glas of vine / a beer / a shot of sake / ... is no danger (in case of IC) as long as is not a usual habit (like daily one).

Anyway, I think that binge drinking (heavy episodic drinking) is more dangerous then a  usual one because in a binge drinking you will force the liver to filter a lot of alcohol in a shot time.
HI tweetie,

we are almost of the same age and also I have been put on Viread, I asked docs whether a small quntity of beer/alcohol can be added in meals and the answers was that a small alcoholo consumption is not dangerous, of course you shouldnt get drunk!