Hepatitis B Community
Is it safe to stop with Tenofovir?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Is it safe to stop with Tenofovir?

So I posted a here a while ago.  I had a regime that first included Pegasys (had to quite early because white blood cells were dangerously low, then Tenofovir.  The virus was discovered after my immunization did not produce the results that it should have.  In summary: immunization, then Pegasys, then Tenofovir.  I also used a lot of alternative things as well:  cranberry juice to keep liver/kidneys flushed out, 2 milk thistle capsules every day, meditation, cod liver oil, vitamins.  

Anyway here are my latest (EU) lab results:

HBsAg:         negative
anti-HBcore:  positive
anti-HBS:      13 (what does this mean???)
HBeAG:        negative
anti HBe:       negative

My doctor wants me to finish up the remaining 2 bottles of Tenofovir + then stop with meds.  Two questions that I have are 1.)  what does anti-HBS 13 mean?  2.)  ...and if it is safe to stop in your humble opinions?

your doctor is right you should keep tenofovir until hbsab (anti-hbs) is high and stable.antihbs are the immunity antibodies and you need them stable over 10miu/ml, possibly around 250miu/ml

2.)  ...and if it is safe to stop in your humble opinions?

you need to post all your tests and story to say, especially hbsag quantitative, hbvdna, ast alt, hbeag

generally when hbsag turns negative and hbsab>10miu/ml you need at least 6 months on antivirals for the antibodies to get stable
tenofovir is free of sides effect so you can keep it for 6months
Thanks!  The remaining information that I have is:

anti-HBs was 12 in Jan. 2014.  My doctor want to "wait" these 6 months after anti-HBs was first positive to tell me the good news.  Apparently you need to be above 12 mIU/ml to be considered "immune."  So the level is very slightly increasing (12 to 13 in 6 months) but my doctor is positive about it.  He "has never seen this before."

The HBV PCR quantiative (IU/ml) has been unmeasurable since June 2013.  

HBsAG has been negative since June 2013.  

HBeAg has been negative since Jan. 2014.

All liver values - ASAT/ALAT, creatinine, and some others have been "very good" since Jan. 2013.

My doctor has also been in touch with an academic hospital to discuss the results, etc. + discuss stopping meds w/i 4 months.

They want to do a more intense rounds of tests in 3 months before stopping the meds and will move me to blood tests every 6 months.

Thanks for any additional information.

BTW I was first diagnosed in November 2010, so this epic journey has NOT been "slightly delayed" reaction or anything.  
Were you hbeAg positive when started cure ?

What was your quantity HbsAg ?
keep us updated, very impressive results.
I was HBeAG positive from Nov. 2010 through Jan. 2014.

The only quantitative measure I have is HBC PCR quantative (IU/ml):
Jan. 2011 = 5.9e8
Dec. 2011 = 1.7e8 started Pegasys in Jun. 2011 - Nov. 2011:  they put me on Tenofovir after that, because my white blood cell count dropped all of a sudden to the point that they wanted to hospitalize me.
Feb. 2012 = 7.2e7
Jun. 2012 = 8.6e2
Jun. 2013 = immeasurable

I have heard that giving Pegasys with such a high viral load is not supposed to be effective, but itt is what happened.

Hope that helps.
Sorry, so yes I was HBeAG positive when I started.
I suppose the one thing that freaks me out a bit is that anti-HBS 13 IU/ml is a hell of a long way from 100 anti-HBS IU/ml.  My doctor says that immunity "starts" at anti-HBS 12 IU/ml.  What is your opinion, please?
Hi just so I understand you started with int peg then added tenofivir ?

Or started with Peg then changed to tenofivir?

May I ask what Geno type you are aswell please?
In this case you can:
check ur vitd25oh and if less than 90-100ng/ml supplement with 5000iu of vit d3 daily
take hbv vaccine
try zadaxin

all these interventions can incfease hbsab
I had the vaccination, was found HBV positive. First Peg (I heard later that my viral load was probably too high for Peg to be useful) THEN tenofivir.

I have geno type B.
Thanks, Stef.

I have intermittently taken D3 as needed.  

I have had the hbv vaccine way back in 2010 - that is how I found out that I am HBV positive - because the vaccine was not producing results.  Are you suggesting to do it again?

How do you get zadaxin, as it is not approved in the US or EU? ...or is my information outdated.

Thanks again.

you have to check carefully, maybe some states have it

italy and vatican city should have it